• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

International Employer not paying wages (how to collect?)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jlcjohn89

Good evening;

I was hired in November 2013 by a company, whose name I wish not publicize due to legal liabilities.
This company is based out of Australia; the position entailed A) receiving purchased inventory to my home and B) picking up purchased inventory. The inventory that was obtained was then in turn noted via Excel, photos taken of inventory, and purchases shipped on demand of the company based in Australia. I shipped out a total of 6 packages ranging from knives to electronics to Russia, Ukraine, and Ireland.

When I signed up to "work" for this business I was promised after a 45/day probation period; I would be paid $20.00 per package shipped and any shipping materials that were needed to be purchased to use for shipping of packages to customers. Along with this I would be paid $2,100/month, this month would be month number 5 which equates to $10,500. The last correspondence I received from my manager was March 1, 2014; with no effort on his part to contact me thereafter. I sent him an email on April 9, 2014 wishing for some form of resolution and update; since the funds were to be direct deposited in my bank account.

I would approximate $5,000 - $7,500 worth of inventory on hand; am I entitled to file a small claim for both lost wages $10,500 along with place the inventory under my name to resell (interest)? If so how and what shall I do to file it and win the case the first time?

- John C.
Virginia Beach, Virginia

FlyingRon

You've been scammed. No legitimate business operates this way and if your contract involves receiving any payments from these "customers" I'd not spend that money out of your bank account, you're going to find those payments fraudulent.

I hope for your sake you're complying with the customs and other requirements for handling such merchandise as well.

Proserpina

Good evening;

I was hired in November 2013 by a company, whose name I wish not publicize due to legal liabilities.
This company is based out of Australia; the position entailed A) receiving purchased inventory to my home and B) picking up purchased inventory. The inventory that was obtained was then in turn noted via Excel, photos taken of inventory, and purchases shipped on demand of the company based in Australia. I shipped out a total of 6 packages ranging from knives to electronics to Russia, Ukraine, and Ireland.

When I signed up to "work" for this business I was promised after a 45/day probation period; I would be paid $20.00 per package shipped and any shipping materials that were needed to be purchased to use for shipping of packages to customers. Along with this I would be paid $2,100/month, this month would be month number 5 which equates to $10,500. The last correspondence I received from my manager was March 1, 2014; with no effort on his part to contact me thereafter. I sent him an email on April 9, 2014 wishing for some form of resolution and update; since the funds were to be direct deposited in my bank account.

I would approximate $5,000 - $7,500 worth of inventory on hand; am I entitled to file a small claim for both lost wages $10,500 along with place the inventory under my name to resell (interest)? If so how and what shall I do to file it and win the case the first time?

- John C.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
You are absolutely entitled to file a lawsuit.

Collecting on it will be impossible, so you may as well call it a loss and go from there.

(for what its worth, the small claims limit is $5000)

You've been scammed, as Ron said.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">