• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Invasion of Privacy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Abhie7

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York.

Me and my mother live in a shelter room on the second floor of a Hindu Temple and have been here for more than 6 months. A few months ago, realizing that there were no locks on the door of the room, I used a camera to keep an eye at the door for intruders and other trespassers. Last sunday I was checking on the recorded data on my camera and saw that my camera had indeed recorded a line up of three committee members opening the door of our room and showing what was inside our room to the other members. They then proceeded to show the bathrooms that we use outside the room. (All this time we were on the first floor of the property talking with some other members of the same Temple.)

Is this legal for them to do? Isn't this an Invasion of Privacy, Breach of Trust or trespassing?

latigo

I see. You couldn't afford to have a lock installed but you could afford a security camera?

Being able to identify intruders rather than preventing the intrusions makes perfect sense. (I guess)

Banned_Princess

I think this is more of a case of a homeless shelter in a Hindu Temple.

I also think you will find OP that in the documents you have received at the acceptance of the room, state random inspections are to be expected.

Abhie7

Thanks

Thanks a lot for your reply, but this was no inspection etc but simply put, a line up of committee members peeking into our room.

Abhie7

Camera

I have had the camera since 2005 when I had a good job and decent line of credit which helped me buy one then, and that I have with me even today. It would be unwise to say that all those who are homeless or living in shelters currently have always been so since the beginning! A camera is something everyone has as a personal recording instrument which may be used for fun, or other purposes, just as people have one in their vehicles in order to record an accident etc. Also, I was told by one of the committee members that we would be given the duplicate key for our door, that is the reason why we could not install a lock.

I see. You couldn't afford to have a lock installed but you could afford a security camera?

Being able to identify intruders rather than preventing the intrusions makes perfect sense. (I guess)

Banned_Princess

Well, to be honest, I don't think you have any sort of case as far as suing the Temple over this, maybe you should have called the police, and they would have been able to explain your rights in the kind of housing you are in, or a local attorney might also explain your rights in this situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">