• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Invested" in a friend's "Company" - got screwed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mattioone

I am located in Florida.

Ok here is the situation.

In October of 2004 I recieved a check in an amount in excess of $2000, and when a friend of mine found out he proposed this to me:

-If I were to "invest" $1000 into his "company" then within 30 days he would return to me that $1000 and possibly an additional $250 (25% return)
-At the very least I would recieve my $1000 back GUARANTEED.
-If for any reason I was to require part or all of my $1000 back before the 30 days was up, it would be returned no questions asked.

On October 19 2004 I handed this friend and his business partner (also my BEST friend) $1000 in cash. And I reconfirmed our verbal agreement, and confirmed that I was to be paid in full be November 18 2004.

Well, November 2 2004 my car died, for good. And as per our agreement I asked for my money back so that I could use it to go buy a car. I was informed that they did not have the money. So, being the good friend that I am, I told them I would wait until November 18, as was our scheduled due date, and was assured that they would have the money. Well, November 18 rolled around and I was informed once again that they did not have the money.

It is now March 12 2005 and I have yet to recieve a cent from them. Over the past 4 months I have pursued them on several occasions and have been told that they didn't have the money. I was told that they had discussed it and that they have agreed to pay me $500 each. So I've pursued them individually and every time am told that they don't have the money. I have offered to take weekly payments in the amount of $50 each for 10 weeks and offered to purchase a receipt book to accurately logg their payments, and was told by both of them "I cannot afford $50 a week." I would hate to ruin a 10+ year and a 7 year friendship over $1000, however I am still without a car. And due to financial and transportation difficulties I have been forced to take a semester off from school.

I do not know if the fact that the words "invest" and "company" were in the agreement that I might have trouble pursuing the money via the court system.

If so what can I do?

What if it was possible to prove that part or all of the money was used for personl reasons and not for the "company"?

Can anyone help me?

What are my options?

JETX

mattioone said:
I do not know if the fact that the words "invest" and "company" were in the agreement that I might have trouble pursuing the money via the court system.

If so what can I do?
Contrary to the incorrect response you have gotten, based solely on the information in your post, you have NO claim against them. The problem is... this was not a loan with a repayment promise, but was an 'investment'. There is no guarantee of a return on an investment.... no matter what they might have told you. The loss of 100% of an individuals 'investment' is very common.

What if it was possible to prove that part or all of the money was used for personl reasons and not for the "company"?
Not relevant. Once you 'invested' in their company, the company can spend their funds as appropriate.

What are my options?
Your option is to write the 'investment' off of your income taxes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">