• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Invisible Fence Is A Company- I Am Only Liable

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

alagada

What is the name of your state? oh
I THINK I AM ONLY LIABLE NEEDS EDUCATED BEFORE MAKING SARCASTIC REMARKS.

INVISIBLE FENCE IS A COMPANY IN OHIO AND SOME NORTHEAST STATES. IT IS RECOGNIZED BY THE STATE OF OHIO AS PART OF THE LEASH LAW. INVISIBLE FENCE MANUFACTURES AN ELECTRONIC FENCING SYSTEM STARTING COST IS OVER $1500. THE SYSTEM IS UNDERGROUND AND SENDS A SHOCK TO THE DOGS SPECIAL COLLAR IF THE DOG COMES WITHIN A DISTANCE OF THE LINE. JUST LIKE PAVLOVS LAW.

WHAT IS WAS ASKING THE OTHER MEMBERS WAS MY NEIGHBOR STATES MY DOG ESCAPED MY FENCE AND BIT HIS DOG. MINE IS A GERMAN SHEPARD AND HIS IS A BOXER. WHEN THE POLICE CAME TO MY HOUSE, MY DOG WAS IN MY YARD WITH NO VISIBLE SIGNS OF A FIGHT. NOW MY NEIGBOR WANTS >$1000 FOR THE VET BILL AND THERE WERE NO WITNESSES, SHOULD I PAY THE WHOLE BILL??

T

Tercr6

Here again.You stated you would PAY !! The best thing for you to do is get a copy of the Bill for the injured dog.
Get the opinions of 1 or 2 Vet hospitals,and see if the charges are resonable campared to theirs,and if the proceedures preformed were Nessesary to bring the injured dog back to health ?
If the the procceedures were resonable & nessesary,it's their word against yours,plus you agreed to pay.
Invisible Fencing(even though recognized under your leash law),would not be a defence,as for example: a chained dog (leased),that gets lose of that chain,could still injure,as with invisible Fences are there really any garrenties ?
Does your Invisible Fence Garrenty the dog will not go behond the boundries ? If so bring them into the small claims action.as in your cross complaint,or demand they pay the injured dogs bill,or you will make a claim against them,to recover your lose.
Work it out with the neighbor !!

stephenk

alagada, dont start a new thread on the same subject.

go to your original post and hit the "post reply" button.

it gets confusing to try and follow your different threads.

A

alagada

thanks terc

thanks for the advice, i had agreed to pay when i thought it would be for the ER visit and a followup but now they told my neighbor that they are waiting to give me the bill because they are still taking their dog to vet visits because their dog has been so traumatized that its even having trouble moving its bowels. It seems that they are just padding this bill by taking it to the vet for every little detail, if there was a dog psychiatrist, they probably would take it there too. These people are a little strange because they even have big birthday parties for this dog and invite dozens of people to it like its human.

A

AmateurShyster

First and foremost, a contract requires a meeting of the minds. You say that you agreed to pay for the injuries to your neighbor's dog, but that you only meant to pay for certain expenses. If your neighbor understood differently, you don't even have a contract, and you're not liabile to pay them anything at all based on your off-hand promise.

That said, if your neighbor reasonably understood you to say that you would pay for all medical costs associated with treating their dog, you might be found liable for the expenses they incurred in reliance on that promise. That would be a question of fact to be decided at trial.

Apart from your promise, the question remains whether you're legally obligated to pay for injuries caused by your dog. You really need to ask an Ohio attorney about this. Off-hand, I would say that you are liable if the dog actually caused the injury (and this is also an issue of fact, based on what you've said), and if you knew or should have known that your dog was dangerous or were otherwise negligent in restraining your dog. Some states have laws that provide "one bite for free", meaning that an owner is not liable for injuries caused by a dog not previously known to have dangerous propensities.

Your promise to pay could come back to haunt you as an admission of liability. It would just be evidence of liability, though: you could rebut that evidence by explaining your motives. Perhaps, for example, you just wanted to do the neighborly thing without admitting any responsibility.

You mentioned that your electronic fence was deemed to satisfy your local leash law. Perhaps the leash law imposes strict liability on owners of unleashed dogs who cause injury. If so, your fence would avoid that strict liability. But it would not prevent you from being liable for negligence. The effectiveness of the fence would be relevant on the issue whether your dog really escaped and harmed the other dog (assuming they don't have pictures or other credible evidence), as well as to the reasonableness of your efforts to control your dog.

The bottom line here is this: your relationship with your neighbor is in the toilet at this point, whether you pay these vet bills or not. You can be sure that they're going to be on your case about every little thing your dog does from now on. It would probably not be a bad idea to put up a hidden surveillance camera so you can document any alleged future incidents on your property line.

T

Terry7

I would not agree to any payment for the injured dog now.
AmateurShyster may just have a point about the 1 bite law (if one exist).
Tell your neighbors you will not pay,if they demand it,don't except the bill handed from them to you ( tell them if they feel you must reveiw it,to send it by mail,but your not going to pay.
I'd wait for them to produce a bill ( IF THEY DO )( but not addmitt any liability ),it sounds correct "you didn't have a meeting of the minds",thus no real acceptance of paying ( a questionable injury by your dog ) which would raise an issue. Who witnessed this act(anyone)? If not how can the prove your dog done it ?
I would however get the written opinions of 1 or to vet hospitals,as to the issue what is medically required of bringing a dog back to health for that kind of injury,and also Invisible Fencings' written garrenty and/or insructions on how the Fence is supose to preform., ( IF YOU ARE PETITIONED TO COURT ).
Then and only then (if petitioned ) you could consult an attorney for a small fee.
Also, I would keep " MUTE ( not say a word ) to anyone outside your family about the issue,let them gossip !! anything you say,your neighbor could bring them as witnesses to court on their behalf !!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">