• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Irresponsible Roommate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BadRoommate

North Carolina

I have moved into a residence and have not signed a formal lease. A roommate writes a rent check every month for all three rents, totaling $975, and, by word of mouth, the other roommate and I have agreed to pay her.

For January and February, the rent checks I wrote were lost by said individual. My bank is smaller and the check numbers were not noted as to be able to void them. She is now planning to take me to Small Claims Court if I do not write her additional checks for $650. Also, claiming it will ruin my credit if preceedings continue.

I have 4 days to give her the $650 she esentially lost or she starts the small claims court proceedings. Advice. Does she have a leg to stand on with no written agreement?

She has also been a miserable roomate: leaving our house unlocked for days because she lost a key, irresponsible, and cowardly (she has not formally talked about any of the situation). Plenty of witnesses for her behavior and for my checks being written.

Antigone*

North Carolina

I have moved into a residence and have not signed a formal lease. A roommate writes a rent check every month for all three rents, totaling $975, and, by word of mouth, the other roommate and I have agreed to pay her.

For January and February, the rent checks I wrote were lost by said individual. My bank is smaller and the check numbers were not noted as to be able to void them. She is now planning to take me to Small Claims Court if I do not write her additional checks for $650. Also, claiming it will ruin my credit if preceedings continue.

I have 4 days to give her the $650 she esentially lost or she starts the small claims court proceedings. Advice. Does she have a leg to stand on with no written agreement?

She has also been a miserable roomate: leaving our house unlocked for days because she lost a key, irresponsible, and cowardly (she has not formally talked about any of the situation). Plenty of witnesses for her behavior and for my checks being written.
Did the checks clear or not?

BadRoommate

I understand that I didn't make a note of the checks, but I trusted the fact that a 20 year old could take the two checks to the bank on time and not lose them or throw them away. Regardless of that, the checks have been lost and cannot be voided. I have asked my bank.

But, thank you, I appreciate the snotty comments. I thought I would get some half-decent help on this thing that could help me do the right thing without getting screwed over.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I understand that I didn't make a note of the checks, but I trusted the fact that a 20 year old could take the two checks to the bank on time and not lose them or throw them away. Regardless of that, the checks have been lost and cannot be voided. I have asked my bank.

But, thank you, I appreciate the snotty comments. I thought I would get some half-decent help on this thing that could help me do the right thing without getting screwed over.
Of COURSE they can't be voided. You could, however, put a stop-payment on them (if you had taken the basic step of actually making a RECORD of your transaction)

HomeGuru

**A: I further testify that the responses you got were more than half decent.

Antigone*

:p

Your bad roommate trusted that in the event the checks got lost, you could place stops on them. Your bad roommate trusted that she would get paid. I'm sure your bad roommate wouldn't even balk at having to pay the stop payment fee.

Right now you are the one screwing your roomy. If you don't replace the checks then her only recourse is to screw back. A judgement could affect your credit.

love and kisses again, snotty:p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">