• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Items broken...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ThisIsCrap

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC/NYC

So here is the deal. I lived with a GF for a few months during this time she worked for a company in which she sold high end resturant equipment. There was a falling out between her and the company and she packed up all of the goods that were in my house into 14 boxes. I had no part in any of this and did not touch one item. Well after she packed up all of these things about a month later we broke up and she moved out. These 14 boxes were still sitting in my house as I requested multiple times for her to get the company to have UPS come and pick everything up. According to her they said they were not going to pick any of the items up and they had to be sent to a UPS store. Now this company is based out of NYC and that is where she moved backed to (Also where I'm orginally from) So, since after many weeks of asking for these items to be picked up I was asked to do her a favor and take the 14 boxes to the UPS store. I used their account number as I was informed and had to fill out and sign the UPS shipping labels for all of the boxes. Fast fwd 10 months I am not being brought in this lawsuit as they stated 75% of the items in the boxes that she packed came back damaged. They are now trying to sue her for 17G. I get a call last week from her stating that they are willing to settle out of court for 2G and I need to help pay for this stuff. According to her they have been going back for months and months. I have never been contacted once by anybody regarding any of these allegations.

I never had any conversations with anyone but the ex gf. I never touched or packed one item in those boxes. I moved them from my house after pleading for a pick up and took them to a UPS store less then 5 miles from my house. All boxes were intact and taken care of. UPS will not even take a box that is damaged or that cannot be stacked upon.

My question is. I know technically I'm involved because my damn signature is on the shipping labels but would like to know exactly how much am I held responsible for? What I can do? etc...

I do apologize for the long drawn out thread.

seniorjudge

My guess is that since you took control of this stuff (according to your post) then you could be held liable.

But the FA crystal ball is broken.

Sorry.

ThisIsCrap

Right, but only after being told that they would not come and pick the items up from my house. They denied scheduling a UPS pick up.

ThisIsCrap

The only other way is if I can show proof how the boxes were once they were dropped off at UPS? Well this sucks.

ThisIsCrap

When you took control of the boxes (as I said) you took control of the boxes.

What else can I say?
Nothing, your correct I just didn't know how much I'm held accountable for after I truley did nothing except remove boxes from my house that did not belong there.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Nothing, your correct I just didn't know how much I'm held accountable for after I truley did nothing except remove boxes from my house that did not belong there.
No, you gave improperly packed boxes to UPS for them to ship. You (likely) had a duty to package the items in a manner that would assure the items arrived safely. THAT is why you have a problem.

ThisIsCrap

No, you gave improperly packed boxes to UPS for them to ship. You (likely) had a duty to package the items in a manner that would assure the items arrived safely. THAT is why you have a problem.
I never packed the items, My ex did. I never touched one item in any of those boxes.

Tallrat

If you didnt pack them and if you are not part of the negotiation between company and ex gf it sounds like the ex gf's problem. If she settles with them for 2 grand she may try to get you in sm claims court but she packed the stuff. This has gone on for months and months and you just now find out? Also it seems fishy to me that they wanted 17 grand but will settle for 2 grand? I'm thinking ex is looking for some fast cash.

Last edited:

ThisIsCrap

If you didnt pack them and if you are not part of the negotiation between company and ex gf it sounds like the ex gf's problem. If she settles with them for 2 grand she may try to get you in sm claims court but she packed the stuff. This has gone on for months and months and you just now find out? Also it seems fishy to me that they wanted 17 grand but will settle for 2 grand? I'm thinking ex is looking for some fast cash.
That is what I'm thinking, asked for letters of proof from the lawyers that apparently my name is on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">