• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Items left by a friend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Cameron McEnroe

California

A friend of mine moved away more than a year ago. A few weeks before he left, I borrowed an RC car worth well over $400 and a transmitter worth about $150 not knowing he was moving. (apparently neither was he). From me he borrowed an electronic device worth $90. I have since fallen away from the hobby. In the past year, I have attempted to contact him at his last know phone number and email without any response. After a certain amount of time, do the items become my property, and does the electronic device become his?

JETX

"After a certain amount of time, do the items become my property, and does the electronic device become his?"
*** No. The item will forever be his.... until you do what is required for 'abandoned property'. Send a certified letter (RRR) to his last known address advising him that he has 30 days from receipt to contact you to make arrangements to recover his property. The USPS only forwards mail for a maximum of 18 months (and that is not reliable), your allowing this to go on for so long is going to cause you additional 'hardship'. If you know his parents address, send a copy to them also. You might even try contacting other friends, relatives and former neighbors to see if they have a valid address for him.

C

Cameron McEnroe

I tracked down his # and everything except his street address. What would be the best way to find his address for free?

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">