• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

items placed in storage for another person

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adelaallen

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? north carolina my sister placed my father's possessions in storage after cleaning out his buncombe county home to be used as rental. my father lives with me. i am his daughter and poa. the storage unit is public. the contract is in her name. she refuses to return his possessions unless certain items are "gifted" to her and certain demands are met, which she has conveniently given to me listed in a "settlement agreement". how do i proceed to return control of these items to my father?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

justalayman

Did sis have permission to remove the items? Was there any discussion as to what would happen to dads property when it was removed?

You might get some assistance from the police. If she is retaining control of dads property without permission, she is guilty of conversion. The police may also simply say it is a civil matter. If so, you are relegated to suing sis for the return of the items.

latigo

How do you proceed?

Unless you can produce evidence of your ownership of the goods, you can't proceed.

Plus you can be assured that under these circumstances the cops won't lift a finger off of a doughnut, regardless of who proceeds.

latigo

Why can't she proceed? Doesn't her POA give her this right?
If you had a modicum of knowledge of the law of agency you wouldn’t ask that stupid question. And I'm not inclined to try to educate you. I'll try to clean up after you, but that's it!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">