• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Items Taken!! What Can I do To get Back??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Vintage8929

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

what can i do to get these items back? if she no longer has them what happens next?i have my father as a witness to verbal agreement! also have face book messages stating where she has my items and has stored them and shows how many times i contacted her and how she would be to busy to get them to us or let us pick them up? what forums do i file or can i file!!!!

PLEASE HELP!!! SUMMARY OF ISSUE BELOW!!!!!!!

I rented a house with a former friend, after loosing my job i was unable to pay my part of the rent. We spoke about it and agreed that i would move out and she would get a new room mate to cover my half. I had a $600 table for the dinning room with 6 chairs (new) 50" inch flat screen tv and a couch as well as love seat to go with it. Because i could pay my part or to get out of lease i agreed to let her have the items and sell them for what they were worth to cover my part (375) plus added on split bills (400) month to get out of lease i just would get my half of the deposit. She verbally agreed to this and within the next week the things i left her to sell were gone which i was fine with.

This same day i asked her if she had gotten enough to cover everything was my moving day my father present and standing next to me at time heard her say "yes i sold the things and got it covered" so we went about getting my things moved out so the new room mate (also a former friend) could move in. While doing this i notice some of my things were missing (clothing and shoes and a few handbags) i didnt make a bug fuss about it because we were all still friends at this point and knew when i wanted it back i would get it.

In one of the rooms i had my daughters items, her crib /crib mattress/ bedding set/ changing table/clothes. my father and i didnt have the tool to take apart the crib and changing table and barely enough room to fit any more things. We both asked if it was ok if we came back the next day to get these things or if we could have a key just to hold until the next day to get in the house and grab what we couldn't fit. She said no but said that we could contact her for it when she wasnt busy she would let us know.so we left those things in there in a corner out of the way as well a portable Coleman camping grill and a few other small items.

We contacted her the next day and got no reply even went by the house but no one was there. we kept on like this for weeks and still had no reply. Finally threw facebook i wrote the new roommate (former friend) that moved in to see if she could get a message to my other former friend since they now live together and just asked when we could pick up the stuff because i needed it for my daughter. She told me that our other friend had nothing to do with it and that i could talk to her about the things now and she gave me her number to call so my father and i did and she kept giving us the run around about how she was at work or school or just didnt have the time. Bringing up the subject that they did say we could come back she then said well you had until such and such date and the things are now gone!!

Make this short now. One week after her saying that she said she had moved the things to storage and they were ok and when she had the chance to get them to us she would. I still have these facebook messages it has now been two years and when asking a public defender for help i never got an answer back and cant afford a lawyer. Remind you she was not my room mate i lived with she was just a mutural friend of ours and we use to hang out all the time like sisters. When she moved in i never heard from my orignal room mate and was going threw the new room mate for everything. My old room mate wrote and said "she had nothing to do with it and to talk to the new room mate about it".

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

what can i do to get these items back? if she no longer has them what happens next?i have my father as a witness to verbal agreement! also have face book messages stating where she has my items and has stored them and shows how many times i contacted her and how she would be to busy to get them to us or let us pick them up? what forums do i file or can i file!!!!

PLEASE HELP!!! SUMMARY OF ISSUE BELOW!!!!!!!

I rented a house with a former friend, after loosing my job i was unable to pay my part of the rent. We spoke about it and agreed that i would move out and she would get a new room mate to cover my half. I had a $600 table for the dinning room with 6 chairs (new) 50" inch flat screen tv and a couch as well as love seat to go with it. Because i could pay my part or to get out of lease i agreed to let her have the items and sell them for what they were worth to cover my part (375) plus added on split bills (400) month to get out of lease i just would get my half of the deposit. She verbally agreed to this and within the next week the things i left her to sell were gone which i was fine with.

This same day i asked her if she had gotten enough to cover everything was my moving day my father present and standing next to me at time heard her say "yes i sold the things and got it covered" so we went about getting my things moved out so the new room mate (also a former friend) could move in. While doing this i notice some of my things were missing (clothing and shoes and a few handbags) i didnt make a bug fuss about it because we were all still friends at this point and knew when i wanted it back i would get it.

In one of the rooms i had my daughters items, her crib /crib mattress/ bedding set/ changing table/clothes. my father and i didnt have the tool to take apart the crib and changing table and barely enough room to fit any more things. We both asked if it was ok if we came back the next day to get these things or if we could have a key just to hold until the next day to get in the house and grab what we couldn't fit. She said no but said that we could contact her for it when she wasnt busy she would let us know.so we left those things in there in a corner out of the way as well a portable Coleman camping grill and a few other small items.

We contacted her the next day and got no reply even went by the house but no one was there. we kept on like this for weeks and still had no reply. Finally threw facebook i wrote the new roommate (former friend) that moved in to see if she could get a message to my other former friend since they now live together and just asked when we could pick up the stuff because i needed it for my daughter. She told me that our other friend had nothing to do with it and that i could talk to her about the things now and she gave me her number to call so my father and i did and she kept giving us the run around about how she was at work or school or just didnt have the time. Bringing up the subject that they did say we could come back she then said well you had until such and such date and the things are now gone!!

Make this short now. One week after her saying that she said she had moved the things to storage and they were ok and when she had the chance to get them to us she would. I still have these facebook messages it has now been two years and when asking a public defender for help i never got an answer back and cant afford a lawyer. Remind you she was not my room mate i lived with she was just a mutural friend of ours and we use to hang out all the time like sisters. When she moved in i never heard from my orignal room mate and was going threw the new room mate for everything. My old room mate wrote and said "she had nothing to do with it and to talk to the new room mate about it".

It's been two years? You need to act now - the SOL is 3 years for property damage in NC.

Vintage8929

How do i handle it? I mean where do i go to file any kind of action and what not for this so i may get it back or how do i go about it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">