• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I've never had to sue before and am having serious problems...does anyone know how...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HneedsHelp

What is the name of your state? New York

Hi, basically the situation is this.
-For the Last two years I shared an apartment in Brooklyn with 3 other people. I was the "Go to guy" whom the landlord picked the money up from each month, that is mainly because only myself and one other of the roommates were on the lease. The other two spots were constantly being re-filled with someone new as it seemed ever person who moved in had some kind of issue where they had to move out. Anyway, the last 6 months or so that we were there one of the roommates wasn't paying all of her rent. I would lend her $50 or so at first which she would pay back to me not long after... it seemed everything was going fine. The last two months however she barely paid any of her rent, I told her that she HAD to pay me all the money she owed before we all moved away, but she kept having excuses. Immediately before moving she gave me a check for the $550 she still owed me, and we went our separate ways. Well, the check bounced. At first I called her and demanded she send me the money, this time in the form of a money order, which she agreed to, apologizing for the inconvenience. Well, a few weeks pass and no money order. I tried getting in touch with her time and time again, leaving voicemail after voicemail. She texted me a couple times saying that she was sorry and is getting the money together... but today I tried to call her again and she changed her phone number. I called Small claims court and they told me that I should sue her but there is one problem, I don't know her current address. They instructed me to call the DA's office and explain the situation. I did that as well, and they replied by telling me that it was illegal to bounce a check in New York City, and to call the police... they should have no problem finding her and then I can take her to court. Well... I call the Police, and they tell me that they were "Unaware that it was illegal to bounce a check" and they don't think they'll help me out.... and that I "better do some digging" myself. (Those are quotes by the way) After spending $30 on reverse-records.com and searching the rest of the internet for hours today... I have no idea what to do. Nothing is coming up with any leads. I have her name... a copy of the bounced check, her E-mail address, her myspace webpage, and the phone number she doesn't use anymore. I can't imaging with all that information there is no way to track her down... but it really doesn't look like the police are going to help. Any suggestions would really help me out... sorry this message was so long... but thanks again to anyone who read it.
-HenryWhat is the name of your state?

mking

If it were me, I'd call the DA's office back and tell them the name of the officer that refused to help you. Another option may be to find a cheap investigator to find this person. They can probably get it from the DMV. Also, did she leave a forwarding address with the post office? There are lots of accessible government records online. Just keep copies of every message she sends - she's basically confirming that she owes you and the amount that she owes you. As does the check that you cashed and bounced (keep it too). If she wrote the check knowing that there was no money in the account (like, maybe after she'd shut the account down), you can possibly get her on fraud as well. You should call her bank, they will probably give you that information. Good luck.

BL

FYI . The US Postal Service no longer gives out forwarding addresses under the FOI Act , and has not for quit a few years now . ;)

tessa

:eek: Have you tried any other search engines? Here are some that may help.

1. US Search.com
2. Zabasearch.com
3. Locate America.com
4. People Finder's.com

If you can not find any results from these searches, it is very possible the person had their records supressed. These companies will supress records from their database if you request it due to privacy reasons. You may have a difficult task ahead.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">