• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Jail? Really, for Indirect Civil Contempt? Please help...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

daydreemer

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I have a question regarding Civil Judgment and Contempt Citation in the State of Illinois.

My husband was served a citation to Discover Assets and failed to appear on his court date. As a result, he was served a Contempt Citation and summoned back to court to "Show cause why he/she should not be held in Indirect Civil Contempt of Court and punished as provided by law."

My question concerns the "Punished as provided by law" part. Very clearly on the Citation to Discover Assets is states “WARNING: YOUR FAILURE TO APPEAR IN COURT AS HEREIN DIRECTED MAY CAUSE YOU TO BE ARRESTED AND BROUGHT BEFORE THE COURT TO ANSWER TO A CHARGE OF CONTEMPT OF COURT, WHICH MAY BE PUNISHABLE BY IMPRISONMENT IN THE COUNTY JAIL.” I know what the possible consequences are but I can’t find any information on what the probable consequences are.

Has anyone has had any experience with this sort of thing and can tell me what happened in their situation? Is it typical for a judge to put someone in jail for this? If so, what happens next? Is there a bond, how is the amount determined, is there a certain amount of time he has to stay? Also, I don’t know if it makes any difference but all of our income and property fall into the exempt categories.

Unfortunately I don’t really know anything about this and we can’t afford to hire an attorney. His court appointment is today at 1:00, I’m hoping someone will have some sort of answer for me by then. We are just trying to get an idea of what to expect when he gets there. I would appreciate any advice or info anyone might have. Thanks so much!

daydreemer

I wasn't sure which category my question best fit in so I posted in both. Sorry about that, FlyingRon. Now I know, won't happen again. Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">