• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Jewelry stolen from car during oil change, what can I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

leegal

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

Quick gist: I went into an auto shop to get a routine oil change. I had an expensive piece of jewelry (value over $1,000) stolen from my vehicle afterwards.

Now, the issue is that I did not immediately catch this as they left the box in the glove compartment and only took the jewelry. There is no surveillance video so I understand this will only be a matter of hearsay.

I have already filed a police report but they have not caught anyone nor have they found my jewelry. Just to already put it out there- there is absolutely no way no one else has access to my vehicle at any other time. These people were the only ones who had access. Also, I would have not gone through the trouble of filing a false police report if I was not 100% sure of this crime being committed.

Can I open a civil lawsuit against the business? And also, how much money can I ask for? Also, if you could please detail a bit of the process and how/what I need to do and under what category. I have never had to sue anyone before in my life.

TRULY truly truly appreciate it!

Silverplum

Quick gist: I went into an auto shop to get a routine oil change. I had an expensive piece of jewelry (value over $1,000) stolen from my vehicle afterwards.

Now, the issue is that I did not immediately catch this as they left the box in the glove compartment and only took the jewelry. There is no surveillance video so I understand this will only be a matter of hearsay.

I have already filed a police report but they have not caught anyone nor have they found my jewelry. Just to already put it out there- there is absolutely no way no one else has access to my vehicle at any other time. These people were the only ones who had access. Also, I would have not gone through the trouble of filing a false police report if I was not 100% sure of this crime being committed.

Can I open a civil lawsuit against the business? And also, how much money can I ask for? Also, if you could please detail a bit of the process and how/what I need to do and under what category. I have never had to sue anyone before in my life.

You have a lame story and no proof. Also, a Freudian slip I bolded for you.

Feel free to google your state's civil courts and follow the directions online.

justalayman

your proof is that sometime in the past you claim to have put a box with a piece of jewelry worth over $1000 in your glovebox. You then claim to have, at sometime after your got an oil change, checked this box and realized the jewelry is missing. Unless you put the box in the car and nobody else has been in or around your unlocked car since then until the oil change and then nobody had been in or around your unlocked car until you realized you found the planted empty box, you don't even have a decent argument the oil change place did it.

Then, unless you have a receipt and quite likely proof you actually owned the jewelry you claim was in the box you have nothing again.

then of course you get the dumb ass of the year award for leaving anything like that in your glove box.

of course you had a good reason it was in your glove box, right?

so, if you want to sue them:

you file the suit in your local court. Since you don't have any idea who might have done it you would sue the company as well as finding out all the employees and naming them as well.

of course you still have the problem of proving the piece was ever in the glovebox, there were no other reasonable opportunities for anybody else to remove it, and that a either a particular person actually did take it (of course there is no way you could ever place this on any particular person since any of the employees working that day had equal access to the vehicle) or the company is somehow liable for the illegal actions of their employees.

so far you do not have enough proof anybody at the oil change place stole it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">