• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Joint Credit Card "ex-girlfriend"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

ham74

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Alabama

I opened a CC account in my name only in Nov2001. My girlfirend at the time needed money for a car and I made a one time cash advance ($2000) on this CC. I did not use the card after that and closed the account in Dec2001. I had my girlfriend that I was living with add her name to the Credit Card (joint account now) before closing the account to help her re-establish credit and for her to assume her debt. She had also change the billing address to her place of residence in 2001 and she is still getting the bill. She had be paying minimums and incurring late fees for almost three years and has now refusing to pay for 4 months now. The remaining balance is now a little over $2000.
I have filed a small claim and waiting on the 14 day wait period for an answer before court.
My ?, do I have a chance to make her pay the debt or only half?
I have paid $270 to the CC since she stopped paying.
Can I only collect on payments made?
What are my chances for this case?

thanks

JETX

ham74 said:
do I have a chance to make her pay the debt or only half?
You have a 'chance' of getting her to pay, but ONLY if you can show the court that there was an agreement (verbal or written) for her to pay for the charges.
If you can't show the court that the 'charges' weren't gifts, it is likely that you will get stuck with the charges made to YOUR card.

I have paid $270 to the CC since she stopped paying. Can I only collect on payments made?
If you win, the court should grant the full amount claimed. However, the judgment won't pay the debt. You will still have to pay out of YOUR pocket and hope that you can collect from her at some point in the future.

What are my chances for this case?
See above.... but slim at best.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">