• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Joint Tax liability unpaid after Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vfs6513

What is the name of your state? PA
I have been divorced since August 1999. My Ex and I filed joint tax returns for 1998 and there has been a balance of $2800 owed since. My remarried ex refuses to pay her share of these taxes, as her new husband won't allow her to pay it. She previously filed with the IRS for innocent spousal relief and was turned down, the response being the tax is due from both parties who filed. She refuses to pay. IRS never sends her notices, but does send them to me.All notices have her name on it and a few times , I gave her copies. She is aware of this tax and has been since 1999.

I have been making monthly installments on this bill and the balance is now $900.She will not even pay half of this amount. I want to take her to small claims court for her $1400 share, or at least reimbursement of half the amount already payed by me and the commitment to pay half the balance. I am self employed and have my own taxes to pay.Just for the record I have without a flaw, paid child support and additional expenses for my children by my own volition.

My Family Law Attorney reviewed my divorce decree from 1999, drawn by another attorney.This was not addressed and I can not use the decree to enforce anything, so my alternative is small claims.

Any one have a similar experience?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">