• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

was judge in small claims court fair?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wcislo

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
My 20yr old daughter took her car to an AAMCO Transmission Center to have her transmission fixed for the 2nd time in 18 months. (First time cost her $2350 and took 1 week to fix). They agreed not to charge her the 2nd time. They had her car for the next 10 weeks. We had over 30 conversations with the Center and the cust serv rep at the corporate office in which we were told there was an electrical problem and they are trying to find it. After 5 weeks of frustration, I asked them for the value of the car ($1500) and the offer was declined. The corp. office then called in their troubleshooter for 2 days who told me he thinks they disconnected the alarm system and crossed wires putting it back in but he can't prove it. He asked if he could take out the alarm and we agreed. Weeks later they replaced the alternator. We got the car back and the headlights didn't work. They agreed to pay to have them reconnected. The check engine light came on almost immediately. Corp rep said NOT to bring it to AAMCO (even though they advertise free eval for check engine lite) but to have our mechanic look into it. For the next 75 days it was in and out of shops and drivable only 22 days about 3-4 days at a time. It has since stopped running. The consensus with the mechanics there is a missing or damaged wire connected to the alternator. We filed suit against the center and cust serv rep (since she consistently told us to have car checked out, incurring $800 in bills) in small claims court. The Center then offered to swap us a 12yr old Explorer (which he said they didn't own, it was left there a year ago). He said they would inspect, clean up and put on new tires. We test drove it and check engine light came on immediately. We declined their offer. They turned it over to their insurance company who hired an attorney. We went to court and the judge was REALLY annoyed we showed up without an attorney. One of the first things she said was "you can't expect to come to court and play lawyer." She listened to my testimony while rolling her eyes at the attorney. When I was done she asked where my evidence and proof was?? Of course I had none. It was their word against ours. I did have the alarm and all the wires that they took out and she said that's not proof. She asked the center owner if they had a problem with the car and he said "there was no problem with it until it left the shop." I said that was not true. He said only problem was alternator and he replaced it. The judge then ruled in their favor. Eight months later, my college student daughter is out $2350 for 1st transmission, out $800+ in bills and has no car. My questions are: was the judge fair?? and should we appeal??What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">