• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nking

What is the name of your state? florida

I asked a carpenter is modify an antique buffet to accommodate two bathroom sinks--to make it into a bathroom vanity. he came to my home spent one hour and sent me a bill four months later for $550. He told me that he charged $40/hr. there were no materials or supplies he had to buy. i sent him a check for $40 and stated that the bill was way excessive and that he overcharged me. my mother and a friend were present at home while he did the work and are witnesses. he told me that he needed to get paid for his "creativity" and if i did not pay him what was billed he'd take me to court. a court date was set. i am a travelling nurse --was in wisconsin--and could not leave my work to fly to orlando, florida for the trial. i sent a registered letter with return receipt to the judge before the trial date and asked for the trial date to be rescheduled. i received the return notice that the court received the letter 8/11. the trial was 8/14. my son called me 8/16 and said a letter from the court arrived saying i had a judgement against me and that i must pay $550 plus court costs. please help--this seems totally unfair. do i have any options here.

JETX

"do i have any options here"
*** Unless you can offer some type of defense or reason why the court was in error, your only option is to appeal the judgment.
Then be in court for the next trial.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">