• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

islandgirl4006

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas. My husband purchased some parts from a gentleman and post dated some checks to him. The last two checks totally 1000.00 bounced. the man took my husband to small claims and won the judgement against my husband for the $1000.00 and attorney's fees. . Now the man is calling threatening to take the checks to the DA and file with him. Can he do that since he already took it all to court and got a judgement. Or can he still use those checks against my husband ?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

xylene

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas. My husband purchased some parts from a gentleman and post dated some checks to him. The last two checks totally 1000.00 bounced. the man took my husband to small claims and won the judgement against my husband for the $1000.00 and attorney's fees. . Now the man is calling threatening to take the checks to the DA and file with him. Can he do that since he already took it all to court and got a judgement. Or can he still use those checks against my husband ?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
It is remotely possible the DA may file criminal charges.

The fact that he has a civil judgement does not make that impossible.

Satisfying the judgement ASAP sounds like an excellent plan.

Antigone*

It is remotely possible the DA may file criminal charges.

The fact that he has a civil judgement does not make that impossible.

Satisfying the judgement ASAP sounds like an excellent plan.
Agreed:cool:

I would just like to add that writing post-dated checks is never a good idea and the only way to proctect yourself from them clearing early is to stop payment on the checks and then have the stop removed on the day the items are okay to clear.

sandyclaus

Writing bad checks can be double trouble.

First, you can be sued civilly to recover the amount of the checks (which has already happened to your husband).

Second, you could have criminal charges brought against you for writing a check that you knew you wouldn't have sufficient funds in your account to cover.

If your husband KNEW there were insufficient funds to cover those checks and wrote them anyway, then yes, the DA can prosecute if they deem it appropriate.

The lesson to be learned here is to NEVER write checks for which you know the money is not immediately available to cover. Post-dating a check does NOT make it non-negotiable until the check date. Most banks will negotiate a check when presented, regardless of the issue date, and it's perfectly legal for them to do so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">