• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

judgement against me need advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SHALIK_TEX

I am from wichita falls, texas. I was involved in a traffic accident two and a half years ago. I found out soon after the accident that my insurance had been canceled two days before the accident. I had a yellow light and the lady who I hit jumped the light. There wasn't anyone on my side of the light but me. And there were people waiting at the light in the opposite side of the road from me and also the opposite side from her according to the accident report the other people located at the opposite sides of the road stated I ran the red light. last summer (05) I recieved a card at my door from the constable saying I needed to call him. I did so 5 or 6 times asking him to bring the papers to the office I work, since I didn't get off until after 6:00 pm, and the constable got off work at 4:30 pm.
well the constable told me it was nothing to worry about and he would get it to me as soon as he could. well I didn't ever get served the papers at all after a number of requests I made to the constable to meet or bring it by my office.well in april or may of this year I recieved a letter from the judges office telling me I had gotten a default judgement against me and I needed to come to the court house to look at the papers. 1 I never did get served the papers for court so I never knew when to show for court or when the court date was. Is there anything I can do to lessen the judgement against me or any other advice would be helpful.

HappyHusband

SHALIK_TEX said:
I am from wichita falls, texas. I was involved in a traffic accident two and a half years ago. I found out soon after the accident that my insurance had been canceled two days before the accident. I had a yellow light and the lady who I hit jumped the light. There wasn't anyone on my side of the light but me. And there were people waiting at the light in the opposite side of the road from me and also the opposite side from her according to the accident report the other people located at the opposite sides of the road stated I ran the red light. last summer (05) I recieved a card at my door from the constable saying I needed to call him. I did so 5 or 6 times asking him to bring the papers to the office I work, since I didn't get off until after 6:00 pm, and the constable got off work at 4:30 pm.
well the constable told me it was nothing to worry about and he would get it to me as soon as he could. well I didn't ever get served the papers at all after a number of requests I made to the constable to meet or bring it by my office.well in april or may of this year I recieved a letter from the judges office telling me I had gotten a default judgement against me and I needed to come to the court house to look at the papers. 1 I never did get served the papers for court so I never knew when to show for court or when the court date was. Is there anything I can do to lessen the judgement against me or any other advice would be helpful.
in april or may of this year I recieved a letter from the judges office telling me I had gotten a default judgement against me and I needed to come to the court house to look at the papers.

OK, that was at least 3 months ago. Did you go to the courthouse? How much is the judgement for? What did the judge's office say?

1 I never did get served the papers for court so I never knew when to show for court or when the court date was.

Improper service (the constable didn't serve you correctly) is possible grounds for having the default judgement reversed.

Is there anything I can do to lessen the judgement against me or any other advice would be helpful.

If you can get the default judgement overturned, this may give you the opportunity to fight the suit or settle for less.

SHALIK_TEX

Ok yes I did go to the courthouse and check on what happened. The judgement was for $ 10,383 dollars. I was never able to talk to the judge until here recently. she said because I was never at home she issued a alternative means of service. She said the constable reported that he taped the papers to my front door. I told here that if they would have been on my front door I would have seen them, I also told her that I remembered a rubber band being on my door knob but there wasn't ever any papers.
I was told by another person that it was not legal to leave summons or anything attached to the front door with anything other than with tape. well when I told her that I remembered the rubber band she kind of hinted that because of where my home is located (which is considered a bad neighborhood ie... poor people and trashy neighborhood) that she couldn't help me. At least that is the opinion I got.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">