• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judgement against my husband regarding service performed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

confused_in_az

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

Sorry, hope this isn't too long :( I just want to provide full detail as I actually have two questions about this.

October 2007 my husband did some work for a woman who had a leaking shower. A couple weeks later she called him back to do another job, installing an air conditioner.

May 2008 we received a notice that a guy he wasn't familiar with was suing him for $800! After some research, we finally figured out that he was the father of the woman my husband had worked for. They claimed he hadn't tightened down his work, which caused damage to their property. They also claimed they tried to call him, and he never responded! Neither of these things could be true. 1. Nothing needed to be tightened. The parts were all things that get glued down. And if glue doesn't take, you know right away. 2. They did call him, but not to complain about the work he did. They called him to do MORE work for them. According to the time frame they provided, the problem with his work was immediate. So why wouldn't they have said something when he was AT their house doing more work. In fact, why ask him to do more work if you think his initial work was substandard? In either event, that in itself proves they are lying about not being able to get a hold of him.

Since the person had sent the claim to the wrong address, the claim was dismissed by the time we got it. So they filed a SECOND claim for the same thing, again to the wrong address, this time asking for $950. Then he had someone serve us at our house, at the correct address. My husband responded to the claim and waited to hear a court date.

At court my husband presented everything perfectly (from what I hear, I wasn't there,) making all the points that needed to be made. The guy told the lie again that he tried to contact my husband and couldn't get a hold of him, then ADMITTED to the judge that yes he did have him to more work. (Side note, isn't that openly perjuring himself??) The judge asked him (repeatedly) that if that was true why didn't you tell him while he was at your house? The guy never answered the judge, he just kept repeating that he tried to call.

So they were told they would get letters about the judgment. When the letters were sent, they were sent (again) to the wrong address. Finally my husband called the court and found that out, and was able to get a copy. The judge awarded the plaintiff (who had bold faced, clearly & openly lied to the judge) $563.00 including court costs!

So now we get a letter from the guy (again sent to the wrong address, but eventually found its way here) that reads as follows:

As of this date you are in receipt of the court's letter stating the judgment amount of $563, including court costs. It is our right to pursue the collection of said amount. We wish to be paid in full with no payments. We will give you a month from the receiving of this letter to pay the judgment.

If after the month you do not comply we will proceed with an attachment of your real estate property. You may respond to this letter by mail, or call our home at XXX-XXXX.

If we do not hear from you within the week we shall proceed as stated.

So I have 2 questions.

#1 Is there any way of fighting this judgment? It's my understand that you can not appeal a small claims court judgment, but I am not sure. Perhaps based on his blatant perjury? If we can't appeal, would there be any kind of grounds for a counter suit?

#2 Are we obligated to fulfill their demand of full payment? We are in a terrible financial situation right now (in fact, the grace period to get my mortgage payment in expired today) and would not be capable of doing so. If we don't have to comply with their demands, what is the minimum payment arrangement we could make if we are unable to appeal or counter sue?

Time is of the essence here. Thank you in advance for any assistance!

~Sandy

Hot Topic

Is your husband licensed? Are you? I ask about you because of what you said about nothing needing to be tightened, that the parts needed to be glued down and that "you know right away" if the glue doesn't take.

Small claims court rules aren't as stringent as they are in criminal or civil court. You say the plaintiff lied. The judge apparently caught him in the lie, but apparently didn't consider it a factor. Personally, I think you're making too much of a "We tried to call you, No you didn't" situation. The heart of the matter is, did your husband do the job properly or didn't he? Obviously, the judge didn't feel he did.

Call the small claims court and see if you can appeal.

The plaintiff makes his/her own terms when it comes to payment. They don't have to care about your mortgage or your other financial difficulties.

This thing has been going back and forth for nine months????

confused_in_az

No, he is not licensed.

Yes, I believe my husband did the job properly. He checks his work very carefully when he completes it, tests it etc. And, the plaintiff had nothing that even implied he failed to do the job properly.

And if he hadn't, why wouldn't the guy tell him like he claims to have tried to do? If someone did shotty work in your home, would you call him to do MORE work on something else and not even mention that you think something was wrong with the first job? And then claim you couldn't get a hold of the person that is standing IN your house? See? It is just nonsense and lies all around.

I understand that small claims doesn't require solid proof like criminal does. But when you offer not even the smallest bit of proof, are caught lying, refuse to answer the judges questions, and the story doesn't even come close to making sense, how can someone rule in your favor? He isn't even the person that hired or paid my husband! The only thing we can figure is the guy was old, so he got elderly points or something because there doesn't seem to be any other explanation.

"The plaintiff makes his/her own terms when it comes to payment."
So they can just make up whatever they want, no matter how ridiculous, and you have to abide by it? That doesn't sound right.

"Call the small claims court and see if you can appeal." According to the court you can NEVER appeal.

BL

In reality you weren't in the court room .

The plaintiff can not just walk in and make verbal claims .

The plaintiff has to show / prove his/her damages , other than just saying so .

confused_in_az

In reality you weren't in the court room .

The plaintiff can not just walk in and make verbal claims .

The plaintiff has to show / prove his/her damages , other than just saying so .

That's my point. The plaintiff DID just walk in and make verbal claims. He did NOT prove anything. Not only did he fail to prove anything he was saying, he DID prove he was not credible by being caught red handed lying. The only "proof" he had was a picture of the front of his house, which was irrevelvent since he was claiming there was damage in his shower not on his doorstep, and a picture of a bathroom that couldn't even be identified as his that just looked like it may have been wet at some point in time.

Not sure what you mean by In reality you weren't in the court room?

Kiawah

They had their day in court, both sides were presented, the judge ruled. Your husband owes the money. Pay up quickly, or this situation has the potentially to get substantially worse for you and the clock is ticking.

Hot Topic

I'd suggest that your husband get licensed. Should he ever do $500 worth of work or more, he could get in serious legal trouble if something goes wrong and the person/company that pays him learns he's not licensed. And yes, it happens all the time.

You can't say with absolute certainty what happened in court because you weren't there.

The plaintiff or defendant has the right to be paid immediately after the judgement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">