• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A judgement from a claim from a former emplyer just showed up on my credit report...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mattc92

Texas
So, I am looking for advice on how to handle a former employer who just won a judgment against me in Cook County Magistrate court in Illinois. I was a sales rep and was given samples that ended up in the hands of retailers and sponsored athletes. They then wanted me to repay the dept for the stuff that was not sent back. I was making payments for awhile and missed a couple and they told me their lawyer would contact me. This was the fall of 06' and I just made the bad assumption they wrote it off the books since I had not heard from them. It didn't fill out a credit form for this. Just was given invoices. I got a summons at the end of 08', 2 years later. I dealt with the lawyer trying to settle. I made a payment towards the agreed amount and couldn't get the rest of the money and they did not contact me. He said he would not go to court, well, I got another notice and then I got a default judgement in their favor since I was not in court. I live in Texas and not Illinois. So today it showed up on my credit report. They were not my creditor at all. Help. Should I send the judge a letter and proof I was trying to pay before the judgment and that I never filed out a formal credit agreement. Thanks

justalayman

Should I send the judge a letter and proof I was trying to pay before the judgment and that I never filed out a formal credit agreement.
Neither of those are reasons you would not be liable for the debt.

I got another notice and then I got a default judgement in their favor since I was not in court
it appears you gave up your opportunity to argue this when you refused to go to court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">