• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

judgement in my favor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

annabell81824

What is the name of your state? Illinois. I have won a judgement against an ex-boyfriend in the amount 0f $5000.00. He won one in the amount of $2400.00. Does the court subtract his from mine to begin with? Also, what is my next step in retrieving my monies? He is a licensed attny in Texas, and I fear he will flee back. Thank you very much.

BL

Doesn't the Order of Award specify if a deduction was applied ?

For ways to Collect ,the Courts Clerk should have information on various ways to collect , one should be a suspention of licenses.

A

annabell81824

suspension?

Hi! Thank you for responding. He can have his attny license suspended until he pays? How do you know this? Thanks again.

BL

OOps Sorry , I was thinking about the State Collecting Child Support .

Here are some sites I hope that are helpful .

How to collect a money judgment in Illinois -- Supplement - Page 1. How to collect a money judgment in Illinois -- Supplement© This supplement includes a forms guide as well as forms. The ...
http://www.law.siu.edu/selfhelp/info/court/collsup.pdf

Illinois Small Claim - ... Then you can start trying to collect the judgment by garnishing wages or bank ... How Do I Appeal a Judgment Against Me? ... Illinois Small Claims Court Information. ...
http://www.prairielaw.com/articles/article.asp?channelId=30&articleId=1489

Collection After the Judgment – The Second Suit - ... are multiple methods available to collect a judgment ... A judgment creditor can also request the appointment of ... Illinois, like all states, provides certain assets ...
http://www.mbc.com/db30/cgi-bin/pubs/DCT-Collection_After_the_Judgment-The_Second_Suit.pdf

A

annabell81824

links

Thank you so very much. I will look into all the links you so kindly gave. Have a great day.

JETX

Okay, lets try this again......

"I have won a judgement against an ex-boyfriend in the amount 0f $5000.00. He won one in the amount of $2400.00."
*** Are these both out of the same court or state??? If so, it would be a little unusual, since most courts ask if there is a judicial 'offset'.

"Does the court subtract his from mine to begin with?"
*** No. Since the court (or courts) have already rendered what appears to be two separate judgments, there is no judicial 'offset'. Now, if the second court had known of the prior judgment at the time of the ruling, they could have offset then, but it is too late now.
Personally, I would not worry about his against you (let him pursue that) and limit my focus to only getting YOUR judgment.

"Also, what is my next step in retrieving my monies?"
*** Depends on what you have done previously. There are lots of options, including seizing bank accounts, garnishing wages, etc. I would suggest you take a look at the links provided by 'Blonde'.

"He is a licensed attny in Texas, and I fear he will flee back."
*** Nothing can be done to prevent that. I would suggest though that any actions you take be done quickly and quietly to minimize his chances of fleeing or hiding non-exempt assets.

"Thank you very much."
*** You're welcome.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">