• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judgment closed? Says Dismissal no funds...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

golo

The case judgment on the court website says "closed" dismiss no funds,that was when apparently they tried to garnish my bank account.I just found out all that!! Omg,i didn't know, and i just sent them a letter offering settlement for less cause i just saw it in my credit report and i can't pay the debt in full,this judgment was filled in 07,and previous to this one they have another for warrant in debt,then they tried to garnished to no avail and that one now it says it's closed.What is that all about and what can i do?

sandyclaus

The case judgment on the court website says "closed" dismiss no funds,that was when apparently they tried to garnish my bank account.I just found out all that!! Omg,i didn't know, and i just sent them a letter offering settlement for less cause i just saw it in my credit report and i can't pay the debt in full,this judgment was filled in 07,and previous to this one they have another for warrant in debt,then they tried to garnished to no avail and that one now it says it's closed.What is that all about and what can i do?
Sounds like your creditor obtained a judgment against you, and figured they could garnish your wages, and were unable to do so. Perhaps your income doesn't meet the minimum for your state's garnishment allowance, or you are already being garnished and there is insufficient income to add another one on. Or perhaps you are not working, and therefore there is nothing to garnish.

The creditor does not have to accept a settlement for less than the full amount of the judgment now. The time to negotiate a lower amount to settle for would have been BEFORE the judgment was entered against you. Now, not only can they collect the FULL amount from you, but they can also get statutory interest on the unpaid balance PLUS any amounts they incurred in order to enforce and collect the judgment against you.

What state are you in? (So we can figure out how long that judgment is good for, what the statutory interest amount is, and how much of your wages can be legally garnished to satisfy the judgment.)

swalsh411

If they are able to seize funds from your bank account they do not have to warn you by the way. Warning you would be silly because you could just take out the funds.

Antigone*

It is all about paying the money (plus interest) that you owe. Feel free to contact the judgment creditor and offer to start making payments.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">