• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

judgment collection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jackson3087

What is the name of your state? Texas

Iam trying to collect on a $2500.00 money judgment awarded to me .Can I garnish a debtors spouses checking account if he withdraws out of his checking account and puts it into hers? What is the best way for me to find where a debtor is banking without dragging him in court I feel he will empty it out once he knows what I am trying to do? When filing a writ of garnishment do you file a application for it first or is that all in one and the same.? Do I have the right to pull the debtors credit report in effort to find out where he might be banking and how would I go about doing this? Can a judgment creditor garnish third party money owed to a debtor such as a tax refund check how would I go about sucessfully getting this done ? Thanks for your time

JETX

"Can I garnish a debtors spouses checking account if he withdraws out of his checking account and puts it into hers?"
*** Yes. They may file a challenge to this, but you should be able to support the action in court.

"What is the best way for me to find where a debtor is banking without dragging him in court I feel he will empty it out once he knows what I am trying to do?"
*** That is one of the fun parts of this business!! With the passing of the federal G-L-B Act (15 USC 6821, et seq), it is much harder to locate bank accounts..... but can still be done.

"When filing a writ of garnishment do you file a application for it first or is that all in one and the same.?"
*** The garnishment documents can be filed at one time.

"Do I have the right to pull the debtors credit report in effort to find out where he might be banking and how would I go about doing this?"
*** Yes you do. You would have to do this through an authorized source.

"Can a judgment creditor garnish third party money owed to a debtor such as a tax refund check how would I go about sucessfully getting this done ?"
*** Yes it can be done. File a Motion for Turnover Order.

"Thanks for your time"
*** You're welcome.
You might also consider going to:
http://www.jrt.cjb.net/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">