• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judgment Creditor Won't Accept Payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

magtwo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My Corporation has a judgment against it for approximately $3,500. When I tried to deliver a cashier's check to the judgment creditor, he refused to open his door.

I tried to have a third party deliver the cashier's check, and the JC insisted that he wanted it delivered by my attorney. Yes, it's small claims, and I didn't have an attorney to represent me; neither did he.

Having trouble figuring out his angle. All I want to do is get him paid and get this over with.

Is there a way to legally enforce receipt of payment by a judgment creditor? This is free $ for him.

You Are Guilty

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My Corporation has a judgment against it for approximately $3,500. When I tried to deliver a cashier's check to the judgment creditor, he refused to open his door.

I tried to have a third party deliver the cashier's check, and the JC insisted that he wanted it delivered by my attorney. Yes, it's small claims, and I didn't have an attorney to represent me; neither did he.

Having trouble figuring out his angle. All I want to do is get him paid and get this over with.

Is there a way to legally enforce receipt of payment by a judgment creditor? This is free $ for him.
Here you go, amigo!
http://courtinfo.ca.gov/forms/fillable/sc145.pdf

CourtClerk

You can pay the judgment directly to the court, but you'll also have to pay all accrued interest, post judgment costs (that have been claimed) and an additional $20 fee. Cash, check or money order only.

dlw99

You can pay the judgment directly to the court, but you'll also have to pay all accrued interest, post judgment costs (that have been claimed) and an additional $20 fee. Cash, check or money order only.
This actually sounds like the best way to do it, which is probably cheaper than having a lawyer or the sheriff shove it in the jerk's hand.

cosine

What makes you think the Sheriff would get involved in such a thing?
Maybe because the OP has heard of such things happening? I don't know if they ever have in CA, but I know it has happened in WV where my grandfather was a sheriff way way back. Oh, and his brother was the judge :D

Antigone*

Maybe because the OP has heard of such things happening? I don't know if they ever have in CA, but I know it has happened in WV where my grandfather was a sheriff way way back. Oh, and his brother was the judge :D
You are right about one thing YOU DON'T KNOW.

Please cosine, you do realize that CC is a court clerk in California, right:rolleyes:

Antigone*

You both need reading lessons. I explained why the OP would think so ... I NEVER said it was a legal process.
Pure dribble. Stop drooling about the old days and your grandpa. This is a legal forum and we speak in legal terms, not in your grandpa terms.:rolleyes:

magtwo

Thanks, everyone. That's the info I needed. Personally, I'd pay the Sheriff to shove it in his.....hand.;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">