• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Jurisdiction?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kuralowicz

I recently received a summons from a Utah small claims court and I live in the State of California. The party involved rented my vacation home not located in Utah or California. The found my rental information on the Internet and the rental contract was sent to them via email and faxed back to me. The party is trying to collect the money they paid for their rental stating that we miss represented the house even though they stayed the entire length of time the rented the home. I feel we gave them accurate descriptions to the best of our ability. My question is does Utah even have Jurisdiction here? I don't live in their jurisdiction, but can it be considered that I did business there because they found us on the internet? I don't see myself traveling there to plead my case and a lawyer located there wants $2,500 to represent me. And if they did win, would they be able to collect seeing I don't have any holding in their state? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">