• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

To Jury or not to Jury?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scboat

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

I am the defendant in a small claims civil suit. I went to court today for a jury/strike roster meeting. The plaintiff did not show up. I had previously filed a motion to dismiss and the judge considered it but denied it today. So they had me pick the jury without the plaintiff getting a say. That was okay with me and I got to pick the date of the trial as well.

My question is, should I/ can I now ask for a bench trial? I was not the one who asked for the jury trial, and I was hoping they would dismiss the action since he was not there, but they did not. Am I better off with a jury trial, or should I push for a bench trial?

Also, if he does not show up to the actual trial, what should I do? Do I just ask for a default judgment? Or am I going to have to present my case without him there?

For a little bit of background this is another one of those he bought a boat and a month later the motor blew cases. He has very little evidence and I do not really mind going to trial. He filed the action a year after the sale, and it has now almost been 2 years since the sale.

I thank you all for any help.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">