• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Keys to Landlord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rosebuddnc

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I was renting an apartment for four years on a month by month basis.

In mid November I told my landlord I was buying a home, told her that I would be moving the weekend of December 5, 2003 and gave her a paper to fill out to take back to my mortgage lender.

I did in fact move on December 7. My landlord was at her Mothers house (which was across the street from my former apartment) and my landlord saw me and my family moving my belongings into a moving van on that day.

I went back to clean the next day. I had the flu and was running a temperature, and since I had told her I was moving, I left the key to the house on the stove in the apartment. I had very little interaction with my landlord and had paid the rent to her Mother across the street. The Mother had gone to church and I foolishly assumed that they would come into the apartment the next day and look at the apartment.

I was in bed for the next week and frankly did not think anything further about the apartment. I had no reason to think that my landlord would not think I moved out. She worked in the water department in the city I was renting in and I had also put in an order to turn the lights and water off on December 8th, so she had access to the fact that my water was no longer on.

She has since contacted my family demanding in very nasty terms that I turn in the keys. She also had the police go to my son's home ( a place I have not lived at for at least 4 years). I have no idea how she connected my ex husband and son with me, much less get their number and harrass them. I believe that since she works for the city, she went to the tax record department and got my ex husbands name and address.

I believe that she is now trying to sue me for back rent. Although I probably should have exercised better judgment in leaving the key....she KNEW I was moving and when I was moving.

Any advice? I do not feel I owe my landlord any money. I was always on time for my rent and if she went to the house to collect, she had to have noticed that the lights were out, and her parents lived across the street so they would have noticed that I was no longer there.

What can I do? I am not paying her any money. She knew I was moving....I told her in plain English and she saw me moving out!

Thanks

Rose

HomeGuru

rosebuddnc said:
What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I was renting an apartment for four years on a month by month basis.

In mid November I told my landlord I was buying a home, told her that I would be moving the weekend of December 5, 2003 and gave her a paper to fill out to take back to my mortgage lender.

I did in fact move on December 7. My landlord was at her Mothers house (which was across the street from my former apartment) and my landlord saw me and my family moving my belongings into a moving van on that day.

I went back to clean the next day. I had the flu and was running a temperature, and since I had told her I was moving, I left the key to the house on the stove in the apartment. I had very little interaction with my landlord and had paid the rent to her Mother across the street. The Mother had gone to church and I foolishly assumed that they would come into the apartment the next day and look at the apartment.

I was in bed for the next week and frankly did not think anything further about the apartment. I had no reason to think that my landlord would not think I moved out. She worked in the water department in the city I was renting in and I had also put in an order to turn the lights and water off on December 8th, so she had access to the fact that my water was no longer on.

She has since contacted my family demanding in very nasty terms that I turn in the keys. She also had the police go to my son's home ( a place I have not lived at for at least 4 years). I have no idea how she connected my ex husband and son with me, much less get their number and harrass them. I believe that since she works for the city, she went to the tax record department and got my ex husbands name and address.

I believe that she is now trying to sue me for back rent. Although I probably should have exercised better judgment in leaving the key....she KNEW I was moving and when I was moving.

Any advice? I do not feel I owe my landlord any money. I was always on time for my rent and if she went to the house to collect, she had to have noticed that the lights were out, and her parents lived across the street so they would have noticed that I was no longer there.

What can I do? I am not paying her any money. She knew I was moving....I told her in plain English and she saw me moving out!

Thanks

Rose
**A: if you followed NC L/T law, you would have been protected. Since you did not give proper writen notice to vacate, deliver the key to L, communicate with L etc., you are liable.

R

rosebuddnc

Re: Re: Keys to Landlord

HomeGuru said:
**A: if you followed NC L/T law, you would have been protected. Since you did not give proper writen notice to vacate, deliver the key to L, communicate with L etc., you are liable.
What about my deposit?

Also, she knew I was moving since she filled out a form to give back to my mortgage lender stating that I had not been late on my rent.

If she takes me to court and wins, can she place a lien on my new home? I do not have the money to pay her...I am barely making my monthly expenses as it is.

This really sux, I do not feel I owe her a dime. I had been a good tenant there for 4 years and I left her place in excellent condition!

HomeGuru

Re: Re: Re: Keys to Landlord

rosebuddnc said:
What about my deposit?

Also, she knew I was moving since she filled out a form to give back to my mortgage lender stating that I had not been late on my rent.

**A: not relevant since the VOR (verification of rental) for mortgage application purposes is not and does not constitute written notice to L for any action taken under the lease.

If she takes me to court and wins, can she place a lien on my new home?

**A: yes, but there are steps that must be taken to do so.

I do not have the money to pay her...I am barely making my monthly expenses as it is.

**A: not relevant to your liability to L.

This really sux, I do not feel I owe her a dime. I had been a good tenant there for 4 years and I left her place in excellent condition!

**A: and I believe you. Unfortunately, being a good tenant and leaving the place in excellent condition has nothing whatsoever to so with giving proper written notice in accordance with NC L/T law.

R

rosebuddnc

Re: Re: Re: Re: Keys to Landlord

HomeGuru said:
rosebuddnc said:
What about my deposit?

**A: not relevant since the VOR (verification of rental) for mortgage application purposes is not and does not constitute written notice to L for any action taken under the lease.

If she takes me to court and wins, can she place a lien on my new home?

**A: yes, but there are steps that must be taken to do so.

I do not have the money to pay her...I am barely making my monthly expenses as it is.

**A: not relevant to your liability to L.

**A: and I believe you. Unfortunately, being a good tenant and leaving the place in excellent condition has nothing whatsoever to so with giving proper written notice in accordance with NC L/T law.
What is considered proper written notice? She filled out a paper for me to take to my mortgage lender that stated that I had been on time with my rent the whole time.

The fact that she was totally of when I was moving and everything else counts for nothing?

Also, what about my deposit?

If she goes to court and wins, can she place a lien on my home and if so, will they sell my house to satisfy it?

HomeGuru

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Keys to Landlord

rosebuddnc said:
What is considered proper written notice?

**A: please read the NC L/T law. Once of the components to proper written notice is well, shall we say WRITTEN notice.
She filled out a paper for me to take to my mortgage lender that stated that I had been on time with my rent the whole time.

**A: so what. Shall we dance? I already told you and explained to you that this paper has no relevance. Can you read English or shall I translate it for you in roseacea language?

The fact that she was totally of when I was moving and everything else counts for nothing?

**A: yes, everything else counts for nothing, nothing counts for something and sonething counts for anything.

**A: and what about your deposit? Your previous postings never mentioned a deposit.

If she goes to court and wins, can she place a lien on my home

**A: I already responded to this same question. Are you a parrot or something?
Hello. Hello. Polly. Polly. Want a cracker? Are you a cracker?

and if so, will they sell my house to satisfy it?

**A: yes, they would under the Financial Mortgage Responsibility Redundant Department of the Redundancy Landlord/Tenant Home Mortgage Lender Law of the 2002 Homeland Security Act.

R

rosebuddnc

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Keys to Landlord

HomeGuru said:
rosebuddnc said:
What is considered proper written notice?

**A: please read the NC L/T law. Once of the components to proper written notice is well, shall we say WRITTEN notice.
She filled out a paper for me to take to my mortgage lender that stated that I had been on time with my rent the whole time.

**A: so what. Shall we dance? I already told you and explained to you that this paper has no relevance. Can you read English or shall I translate it for you in roseacea language?

**A: yes, everything else counts for nothing, nothing counts for something and sonething counts for anything.

**A: and what about your deposit? Your previous postings never mentioned a deposit.

If she goes to court and wins, can she place a lien on my home

**A: I already responded to this same question. Are you a parrot or something?
Hello. Hello. Polly. Polly. Want a cracker? Are you a cracker?

and if so, will they sell my house to satisfy it?

**A: yes, they would under the Financial Mortgage Responsibility Redundant Department of the Redundancy Landlord/Tenant Home Mortgage Lender Law of the 2002 Homeland Security Act.
No need for rudeness. My computer is slow and didnt scroll down to see all of your replies until I had already posted the last post.

Thanks for your help, but since you prefer to be sarcastic, I really dont want any more replies from you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">