• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lack of Payment for Services

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Krlstck

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I work as a Computer Technician and occasionally do jobs on the side for extra income. I was called to go over to a house to look at a machine with a bad motherboard. While I was there the customer decided to pull every computer she had ever owned out of the closet for me to take a look at. I told her that there would be a separate fee for the additional machines. All in all I spent over 4 hours there. I had to send the machine with the bad motherboard back to the manufacture for repair. When they sent me the estimate I called her and told her how much it would be and she said that she just wanted the machine back don't worry about having them replace the part. I sent her an invoice with the time and labor as well as diagnostic fees and parts that I put into all 3 of the machines. She told me she was not going to pay it and is now suing me for $5000 because I have not returned the laptop to her for lack of payment. Any advice?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I work as a Computer Technician and occasionally do jobs on the side for extra income. I was called to go over to a house to look at a machine with a bad motherboard. While I was there the customer decided to pull every computer she had ever owned out of the closet for me to take a look at. I told her that there would be a separate fee for the additional machines. All in all I spent over 4 hours there. I had to send the machine with the bad motherboard back to the manufacture for repair. When they sent me the estimate I called her and told her how much it would be and she said that she just wanted the machine back don't worry about having them replace the part. I sent her an invoice with the time and labor as well as diagnostic fees and parts that I put into all 3 of the machines. She told me she was not going to pay it and is now suing me for $5000 because I have not returned the laptop to her for lack of payment. Any advice?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
What proof do you have of a contract with her? Did you discuss up front the total fee?

Wait a minute. Shes going to sue you for $5000 for a crummy computer? Sounds somebody watches too much Judge Judy or not enough.

Shes in the wrong, if she has an outstanding bill with you for services and you are in the possession of it. Let her know that you have the right to place a mechanic's lien on the computer for non-payment of services rendered.

What proof do you have of a contract with her? Did you discuss up front the total fee?
I would think the simple fact that he has the computer in his possession (and the fact that she'd have to come up with a doozie of an explanation for that other than she gave it to him to repair) and paperwork from sending the computer to and returned from the manufacturer would be enough.

But I'll shut up,, since you're an actual lawyer. *gets my learning on*

xylene

She told me she was not going to pay it and is now suing me for $5000 because I have not returned the laptop to her for lack of payment.
Return the laptop and sue HER for lack of payment.

Carry contract forms AT ALL TIMES for work orders and do not do anything without them being signed. None of this "I told her." nonsense.

Do not do business verbally.

Have a lawyer set up the forms for you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Shes in the wrong, if she has an outstanding bill with you for services and you are in the possession of it. Let her know that you have the right to place a mechanic's lien on the computer for non-payment of services rendered.
Please cite the relevant portion of Georgia law that allows for this...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If you don't understand what a Mechanic's Lien is, my advice to you is to do your own research sir.
I understand what a mechanic's lien is. What I don't understand is how you think it applies in this situation. You made the claim, you back it up.

xylene

I don't have to back anything up to you. If the OP asks, I'll do the research, I owe YOU nothing.
You have been challenged for providing factually incorrect advice.

I too would love to see proof in law of your assertion that a mechanics lien is even remotely applicable to this situation where there is AT BEST only an extremely tenuous oral contract.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">