• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Land Lord claims to be missing two air conditioners

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drow84

What is the name of your state? Illinois
I just moved out of my old college apartment. The land lord sent me a statement 45 days after moving out that he had to replace two air conditioners in the apartment I moved out of. When I moved into the apartment there was one air conditioner, that my roommate and I were told to put in the unsecured basement over the winter. After using the air conditioner for a week we decided to buy our own air conditioners and use them, as I had started experiencing sinus infections, which is unusual for me.
We moved the air conditioner (already in the unit) from the window to another tenets apartment, in the same complex, just across the hall. They in turn stored the air conditioner in the basement when winter came around.
We did not fill out a list of things in the apartment at the time of move in. We did not fill out a condition report for the apartment.
The air conditioners, we were told, were on a first come first serve basis, located in the basement, on the floor, with no securing mechanisms, in plain sight of the outside door that neither closed, nor locked. (and still doesn't) We lived in the apartment for two summers.
When asked to put in air conditioners the land lord failed to set a time and date, and did not actually put them in.
The old tenet, who moved out five minutes before we moved in, put the air conditioner in himself. The land lord did not sign out the air conditioners, nor did he keep track of where they were, or who had them.
On moving out we had removed our air conditioners, the land lord said nothing. He provided no receipt for the purchase of the air conditioners, just a written statement of purchase with the price at 45 days after move out, and gave no call or notice prior to buying them, to ask if we had taken any air conditioners.
The land lord has been sued and lost for doing something similar to a previous tenet, where he charged them for a new kitchen.
Also, three neighbors moved out a the same time and we were all charged $120 for three hours of work in each apartment. I believe this to be a move out fee, is there any hope of getting my money back?
I am out $500 for this mess.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">