• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlor sue tenant for the damage of the property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nevergreen

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OHIO
I have lived in a condo for one year without any check-in list from LL. They also waived us the security deposit. On this Jan, we moved out with a 30 days advanced notice. Actually, we have vacated the house 2 weeks early than the lease. We asked LL to walk though one week early before the lease expired to make sure we have some time to do more cleaning work if LL did not satisfy with what we did. But they do not showed up until the final day. At that day, the LL was very mad without any reason and shouted to us, “your guys were bad people, got out of house and so forth”. I have two daughters; one is 4 and another just 18 months. At that time, they are scared and cried to leave. And then, the LL’s wife talked to me over the phone when we got into our car. She required us to leave them one extra month rent for the so called “damage”, and I refused because of her rude husband; finally, she said half month rent, and I said: “no, ask your husband show respect to us, and also give the detail damage list for the house.” Two weeks later, we received a letter from their attorney to require us pay $ 875 for the damage. I sent a letter back to their attorney and required LL to make an apology before we started to talk about this issue. Since then, we did not receive any response until we got a summon form local small claim court three months later. In this new claim, they required to pay them $2800 for the damage without any detail list included. The bad thing was that we need to pay the attorney fee if the LL sues us for some necessary reasons in the lease agreement. We did not pay attention to that we signed and also they did not highlight in the lease agreement.
Now we wonder if it was reasonable to file a different claim against after initial claim three months early. By the way, the condo was pretty old (about 30 years old) and I am sure they did nothing update including the carpet, wall painting and appliances during the 11 years when they lived there. Now they just want to make easy money from us to update the house. We have taken the picture when we moved out, but we did not take any pictures when we moved in.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">