• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlord appeals

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tenant B

What is the name of your state? California

I sued and won against my previous landlord. He is appealing. I had a pre-inspection and was told that everything looked great. I helped show the unit while still there. Move out day: the landlord came to inspect after all of the furniture and large items were on the truck. I was told in front of a witness that everything looked good and the check would be in the mail. Instead, I received a letter stating they were keeping the $1200 deposit and would ask for more if I tried to complain.

I had signed a contract with a management company. The owner fired them when I submitted my 30 day notice. Items in the list of "repairs" included a tile that was already broken as note in the move in check list. And many more items. I left the unit in "as good condition" if not better. They are claiming that they had to replace the entire carpet due to one 6 in stain. They are making unreasonable claims.

From what I understand. Unless I have furniture covering a spot on the carpet or hole in the wall, they are required to tell me what repairs are necessary during the pre or exit inspection. I feel that they are intentionally trying to get me to drop the case. I moved out last July 1 and could have been getting interest on this money. I will also loose 2 days pay for this. I am a single mom and think they are trying to take advantage of that.He kept telling me that he wouldn't try to take advantage of me because he is a good Christian.

What do I need to know to ensure that I win the appeal?

JETX

What do I need to know to ensure that I win the appeal?
You need to KNOW the law... and how to present a valid solid case of your facts to the court... and to be able to present a valid defense against the other sides claims.

And if you can't do that... you need to know a good attorney... and have him/her on your side.

Basically, your appeal from small claims is a new hearing... called a 'trial de novo'. You get to do it all over again as if the first one never happened. The main difference is that both parties can have attorney's... as I presume they will have one. If they do and you don't have one, you will be at a HUGE disadvantage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">