• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord refuses to refund security deposit after 3 months...what do i do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Judyb

While my husband was on a freelance job in San Diego he had stayed in a property owned by Mr James Eric Gilbert (Realty Executives, c/o Jim). He has always paid rent and utilities on time. The exact date he moved in was on 12/13/06 and moved out on 3/9/07 so it was about 3 months or so.
When my husband lived there the place was dirty and in a mess but he never complained and cleaned it up himself. Our problem is that after he stayed there (on a month to month basis) and after giving "Jim" a one month notice before leaving...since it was a freelance job, and they can let you go at any time...it has been 3 months and he REFUSES to send us the $450 deposit. My husband made sure to clean up the place for inspection ....so that it was spic and span so to speak. The day of the inspection my husband calls "Jim" on many occassions to come in to give the final walk through to see if everything looks good but Jim's response was that he cannot come to take a look as he is too busy. He instead tells my husband to send him the keys in the mail and when he has time he will take a look. So, this is exactly what my husband does.
About two weeks later my husband calls him and asks if he has received the keys and taken a look at the place and he says yes, and that things look pretty good...meaning nice and neat. My husband asks for the deposit money and he says he will send it in the mail. Two weeks later and still there was no sign of the deposit so my husband called hm again. To make a long story short it has been this way for about 3 months now...constantly calling and still being lied to. We would like to know if you can help us, please? We have a copy of the housing agreement , some pics my husband took of the place, roomate complaints etc. Bascially, the last time my husband called him was this Sunday and they got into a fight as Jim was complaining and saying he isn't going to pay and he wanted this and that done.. etc. JIm has been taken to court on a couple of occassions as well for similiar situations. We just want our depoisit back....by law 3 months is too long as it is.
Can you help us?
Your helps is greatly appreciated,

Last edited:

Happy Trails

Judyb, you can "Edit" your post to add the missing information, apparently you lost some before it posted.

Be sure to include the name of your state and the reason the LL isn't/hasn't given you back your deposit.

Happy Trails

While my husband was on a freelance job in San Diego he had stayed in a property owned by Mr James Eric Gilbert (Realty Executives, c/o Jim). He has always paid rent and utilities on time. The exact date he moved in was on 12/13/06 and moved out on 3/9/07 so it was about 3 months or so.
When my husband lived there the place was dirty and in a mess but he never complained and cleaned it up himself. Our problem is that after he stayed there (on a month to month basis) and after giving "Jim" a one month notice before leaving...since it was a freelance job, and they can let you go at any time...it has been 3 months and he REFUSES to send us the $450 deposit. My husband made sure to clean up the place for inspection ....so that it was spic and span so to speak. The day of the inspection my husband calls "Jim" on many occassions to come in to give the final walk through to see if everything looks good but Jim's response was that he cannot come to take a look as he is too busy. He instead tells my husband to send him the keys in the mail and when he has time he will take a look. So, this is exactly what my husband does.
About two weeks later my husband calls him and asks if he has received the keys and taken a look at the place and he says yes, and that things look pretty good...meaning nice and neat. My husband asks for the deposit money and he says he will send it in the mail. Two weeks later and still there was no sign of the deposit so my husband called hm again. To make a long story short it has been this way for about 3 months now...constantly calling and still being lied to. We would like to know if you can help us, please? We have a copy of the housing agreement , some pics my husband took of the place, roomate complaints etc. Bascially, the last time my husband called him was this Sunday and they got into a fight as Jim was complaining and saying he isn't going to pay and he wanted this and that done.. etc. JIm has been taken to court on a couple of occassions as well for similiar situations. We just want our depoisit back....by law 3 months is too long as it is.
Can you help us?
Your helps is greatly appreciated,
Sorry, I just noticed you had fixed your thread.

Copy and paste this link without the "urls" and look for "For help with Security Deposits, click here."

http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/selfhelp/other/landten.htm

That should give you some advice and how to get started on getting the deposit back.

Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">