• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord Suit/Accounting Discrepancy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

benjam1n

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Good evening. For the sake of clarity, I will try to keep this inquiry short, but let me know if any additional information would be useful.

Almost exactly one year ago I moved out of an apartment. I had a yearly lease, which lapsed, I then opted to continue leasing on a month to month basis. This monthly lease only required a 60 day notice to move. I provided required notice to move and "crossed all my Ts". On paper, I was set to move by December 1, 2015. I was out of apartment, keys returned, smooth and easy process.

A few months pass, and I have yet to receive my returned security deposit. I emailed the property manager, she investigates with the corporate accountants. On paper, I owe a balance to the tune of, give or take, $24,000. It seems my move out paperwork was never submitted by the property manager to corporate, and was being charged with a broken lease liability, miscellaneous charges, etc..

Fortunately, and thankfully, all prior required notice to move paperwork and correspondence regarding this issue was via email. I provided her copies of the emails, which included the move out notice, which she in turn provided to corporate.

She admitted a mistake had been made on their and apologized. We had some back and forth email correspondence in an attempt to resolve. This was as effective as playing a game of telephone, as she was simply just the man in the middle. In short, nothing was resolved. About this same time I received an invoice in the mail for the previously incorrect balance. In response I sent a dispute letter via certified mail to their corporate office. No response. I then sent another copy, again via certified mail, no response.

Fast forward again, I receive a letter from their attorney stating the debt owed. Send my original letter for a third time, again via certified mail, to both the leasing company's corporate office and the attorney. No direct response, some generic form letter recognizing a dispute in dollars owed.

At this point, I am trying to find motivation to file civil suit to obtain my monies owed (security deposit balance), when I receive a summons from the court on their behalf. The leasing company is attempting to sue for the money they believe they are owed.

TLDR; Moved out of apartment after filing all required paperwork, no lease burden. Leasing company accounting department has royally messed up my tenant ledger. Leasing company thinks I owe them money, when in fact they owe me security deposit, and spoiler alert; I have full audit trail of email correspondence with property manager, who admitted they made a mistake, and the ledger is completely incorrect. Fast forward to present day, the leasing company has summoned me in a civil suit for money they admittedly do not owe me.

I could really use some direction as how to accomplish the following (I don’t imagine needing an attorney, this couldn’t be any more of an open and shut case):
++ I need to file an answer to the summons, where can I find an "answer" template? Should evidence be included/attached?
++ I will need to counter sue. Can this be accomplished with the above "answer"?
++ I am clearly not an attorney. If I hire one, can my counter suit include these additional incurred costs? I would assume interest and filing fees as well? Anything else?

Thank you for any direction you can provide!

justalayman

For $24k you really should consider hiring an attorney.

If there was no lease what is the basis of their claim? Are you certain the lease was not self renewing? It
Sounds like the apartment Management believes it was. Using your statement concerning the lease there would be a lot less in damages.

benjam1n

For $24k you really should consider hiring an attorney.

If there was no lease what is the basis of their claim? Are you certain the lease was not self renewing? It
Sounds like the apartment Management believes it was. Using your statement concerning the lease there would be a lot less in damages.
I apologize, I should have mentioned, the value of their current discrepancy is ~$2000, their ledger continues to change without reason. Somewhere along the lines they must have realized I was technically free of any continued yearly commitment.

Exactly, their paperwork appears to be all messed up, which their leasing agent acknowledged. I attempted to point out their error via the mentioned letters, never received an acknowledgement.

This is a relatively large leasing company/property owner, not a fly by night slumlord, which is all the more baffling.

Thanks for your input.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">