• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord/Tenant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jen Baldwin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I moved out of my apartment june 30, 2009 and my landlord failed to return my security deposit. It should have been the full amount plus intrest. After calling numerous times and asking for my check I went and filed suit. I just got my check in the mail today. Can I send the check back and wait until we go to court? I know there is a law in NJ that a judge can require the landlord to double my payment. I just got my court date which is in 2 weeks. Can i just send back the check and let the judge decide what happens. I also want to make sure I get the proper intrest back too.

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I moved out of my apartment june 30, 2009 and my landlord failed to return my security deposit. It should have been the full amount plus intrest. After calling numerous times and asking for my check I went and filed suit. I just got my check in the mail today. Can I send the check back and wait until we go to court? I know there is a law in NJ that a judge can require the landlord to double my payment. I just got my court date which is in 2 weeks. Can i just send back the check and let the judge decide what happens. I also want to make sure I get the proper intrest back too.
If you got your SD returned minus interest and penalties , I advise to cash it .

Keep a copy of the check ,go to court and ask for interest and penalties and see where it flies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">