• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord/tennant dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chrisfitz1975

What is the name of your state? NY

Hi i had rented a house from january till august of this year in Port Jervis NY. i paid a 1200 dollar security desposit with no lease. the house was, from day one, not cleaned. there was primer on the walls but no paint. the electric in the house was unsafe and the basement had various garbage and 2 hot water heaters in it that were supposed to be removed from the premise before we moved in. my pregnant girlfriend and a friend spent 3 days cleaning the house because it was so filthy. also, the property manager billed the house as a 2 bathroom but in all actual pratices it was one bathroom with a toilet bowl in a basement with few working lights. ANY requests for maintenance were never answered, with the exception two occasions when the hot water and heat went out, so i had to do most of the repairs myself.

we moved out the end of august at which time we left ONE dresser there. REPEATED attemts to talk to my property manager were never met untill i threatened legal action (said i would have my lawyer call him hehehe). mind you this is now the end of SEPTEMBER. 30 days had passed already. well after alot of run around i FINALLY meet his secetary TODAY, oct 12th. she has a check for $815 and a note/waiver/bill saying that the property manager had to hire people to paint the house due to children's scribbling on the walls and to clean the house up and that i should take it since he had to scurry to find someone to rent the house and that i had never signed a lease but was supposed to.

concerning the lease... we ASKED him for a lease on several occasions but never recieved it.

well, can someone tell me if i have a chance?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">