• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord Tennant Laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

khari7

What is the name of your state? Ohio...I had intentions of renting a property from a lady for the sum of $875 per month we had no lease. I took the money over the her husband on 04/25/03 on 04/28/03 I contacted her via telephone and advised her my fiance was sentenced to a year and I just been approved for a house. This was within the 72 hours that I believed was all you need to cancel any contract written or verbal. she advised me to leave her keys in the mailbox. Today she contacts me at work and advises me the keys don't fit her condo and that she is taking me to small claims court. Is she able to take me based on a verbal agreement, again we signed no lease. The money I gave her was in check form and I stopped payment on the check. Am I liable for the month of May rent which is what she is suing for and also she states I gave her back the wrong key.

HomeGuru

khari7 said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio...I had intentions of renting a property from a lady for the sum of $875 per month we had no lease. I took the money over the her husband on 04/25/03

**A: and you left out an importnant fact, that being that you were given the keys to the property that you agreed to rent establishing a m/m L/T relationship.

on 04/28/03 I contacted her via telephone and advised her my fiance was sentenced to a year and I just been approved for a house.

**A: facts not relevant to your case. And what does it mean that "you had just been approved for a house"; is this Section 8 housing or something?

This was within the 72 hours that I believed was all you need to cancel any contract written or verbal.

**A: wrong, there is no such law in your case.

she advised me to leave her keys in the mailbox. Today she contacts me at work and advises me the keys don't fit her condo and that she is taking me to small claims court. Is she able to take me based on a verbal agreement, again we signed no lease. The money I gave her was in check form and I stopped payment on the check. Am I liable for the month of May rent which is what she is suing for and also she states I gave her back the wrong key.
**A: yes, and you are also liable for damages pursuant to the Ohio L/T law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">