• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord took my dog

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tweaver

Oklahoma- I was evicted from my house and the sheriff that came to do the lock out ran my name for warrants. I had a municipal warrant and was taken to jail. Along with my u-haul my car was left in the driveway with my dog (a teacup toy poodle) and my mom's ashes in it. I was released from jail about 48 later and my dog and the ashes were gone. After not finding my dog at the pound I called the landlord who tried avoiding me. The landlord has admitted that he gave my dog away the day i went to jail but won't tell me who he gave it to and is not trying to give him back. I am going to file a lawsuit for theft of an animal valued over $500 but should I let the landlord know to persuade him to give me my dog or just do it without warning him?

FlyingRon

You can threaten lawsuits all day, but frankly anybody who does this sort of thing likely is going to be immune to idle threats.

File the suit. The reality of it may result in the landlord retrieving your dog.

Silverplum

Oklahoma- I was evicted from my house and the sheriff that came to do the lock out ran my name for warrants. I had a municipal warrant and was taken to jail. Along with my u-haul my car was left in the driveway with my dog (a teacup toy poodle) and my mom's ashes in it. I was released from jail about 48 later and my dog and the ashes were gone. After not finding my dog at the pound I called the landlord who tried avoiding me. The landlord has admitted that he gave my dog away the day i went to jail but won't tell me who he gave it to and is not trying to give him back. I am going to file a lawsuit for theft of an animal valued over $500 but should I let the landlord know to persuade him to give me my dog or just do it without warning him?
Your dog was left in your car while you were in jail. Your landlord took better care of the dog than you did.

LdiJ

Your dog was left in your car while you were in jail. Your landlord took better care of the dog than you did.
That doesn't mean that the landlord had the right to give away the dog. The landlord could have called animal control who then would have held the dog for a certain number of days before making it available for adoption. I suspect that the landlord actually SOLD the dog. Teacup poodles are very valuable.

Silverplum

That doesn't mean that the landlord had the right to give away the dog. The landlord could have called animal control who then would have held the dog for a certain number of days before making it available for adoption. I suspect that the landlord actually SOLD the dog. Teacup poodles are very valuable.
All I'm saying is, the dog would very likely be dead if the landlord hadn't done something. Given away/sold/fostered = Better than dead.

davew128

All I'm saying is, the dog would very likely be dead if the landlord hadn't done something. Given away/sold/fostered = Better than dead.
Yes, the landlord should be congratulated for pawning off the dog before it died rather than, I dunno, fostering it for a day or two.

Silverplum

Yes, the landlord should be congratulated for pawning off the dog before it died rather than, I dunno, fostering it for a day or two.
Maybe the LL is allergic. Maybe he gave the dog to a tiny-poodle rescue group and OP hasn't checked that, yet. Maybe he tried to get the dog out and it bolted into traffic and was killed. None of us know.

:cool:

Why would anyone steal cremains? Has the poster made a police report?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Maybe the LL is allergic. Maybe he gave the dog to a tiny-poodle rescue group and OP hasn't checked that, yet. Maybe he tried to get the dog out and it bolted into traffic and was killed. None of us know.

:cool:

Why would anyone steal cremains? Has the poster made a police report?
Maybe the urn was *really* nice?

I suspect that the landlord might have figured that it'd be the only way to get $ out of OP - OP was evicted for *some* reason, after all. And it seems that most people who are evicted owe the landlord $ - either for rent or damages.

Not that that makes it right - legally or morally.

OP can try suing for the value of the dog - whatever happened to it would come out eventually in that process.

OP would be an idiot having any more direct contact with the landlord. Landlord being served *IS* all the heads up necessary. Should landlord then chose to find a way to get the dog back to OP before it goes to court, and dog is alive and healthy, OP can simply drop it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I find it very difficult to believe (to the point of not believing) that the police would have left the dog locked up in the car while they carted the owner of the dog away. I don't think we're getting the straight poop (;)) from the OP on this one.

LdiJ

I find it very difficult to believe (to the point of not believing) that the police would have left the dog locked up in the car while they carted the owner of the dog away. I don't think we're getting the straight poop (;)) from the OP on this one.
I had an police officer client in here just a bit ago and I asked him what he would have done in that situation. He said that he would have called Animal Control unless someone at the scene volunteered to care for the animal temporarily.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I had an police officer client in here just a bit ago and I asked him what he would have done in that situation. He said that he would have called Animal Control unless someone at the scene volunteered to care for the animal temporarily.
Right - that's what I would expect. And the OP knew it (because I'm sure he was very vocal about his dog.)

tweaver

My dog was in my car that was parked in the front yard with the driver's side door open. I thought the officer of landlord would call animal control because that's what should have been done. That's where I went looking for my dog when i was released. But after finally getting in touch with the landlord he told me he gave my dog away. He wouldn't say who he gave it to. When it comes down to the law a dog is considered property and he can't give my property to whoever he wants. It doesn't work like that. So congrats to the landlord? I don't think so. One one reply even answered my question. I'm just going to file the dang lawsuit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">