• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

LandLord Trying to Make us Pay a Repair Bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nicole1208

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

Hi. This is the first time I will ever be dealing with a court, so I have no idea where to even start.

Back in the end of August, I sent in a work request via the company website that we rent from. Our dryer, which they provide, was not heating our clothes properly. It took over 2 1/2 hours for our clothes to dry, smelled like something was burning, and the top of our dry was very hot. I mentioned in the work order that I think our vent tubes needed cleaned out before there was a watch mark on the ceiling around the tube and our vents have never been cleaned out since we lived there, for 2 years.

Well eventually at the end of September, they sent a dryer repair company. He said nothing was wrong with the dryer itself, that it was probably the vents that needed cleaned out. He didn't know where the vents were, so he said he would call the property manager, but I never heard anything back.

2 weeks ago, we get a bill for $85 in the mail from the company we rent from. They say we are responsible for paying the bill to have a repair person when nothing was wrong with the dryer. I told them that I said the dryer wasn't heating properly and that I think our vents needed cleaned out. She said the vents have nothing to do with it and we are responsible.

Finally, after talking to the big boss of the company, they sent someone out today, November 1st, to clean out our vents! Now the dryer works perfectly! Now just 30 minutes ago, I get a voicemail saying we are still responsible for the bill because they sent the dryer repairman out when nothing was wrong with the dryer, the dryer was heating fine. Any thoughts?

tranquility

I don't think they will sue you over a repair bill of $85. If they do, get an attorney if the lease/rental agreement has a loser pays provision. If not, give your side to the judge.

If what is said is precisely true, I don't think the landlord has a winner.

Nicole1208

I disagree. I think even if you rent, you should be responsible for a minimal amount of common sense.
I told them from the beginning that our vent tubes needed cleaned out. We live in an apartment building and have no access to where the vents come out at. Trust me, if they did I would have taken care of the problem, since it was a fire hazard. It took them 2 months to do this.

OHRoadwarrior

I told them from the beginning that our vent tubes needed cleaned out. We live in an apartment building and have no access to where the vents come out at. Trust me, if they did I would have taken care of the problem, since it was a fire hazard. It took them 2 months to do this.
Then why did you report the dryer broke?

OHRoadwarrior

Did you keep a copy of the report? You may need that to support your wording. I think that in a 50/50 preponderance, you will win.

Nicole1208

Did you keep a copy of the report? You may need that to support your wording. I think that in a 50/50 preponderance, you will win.
No I did not. We need to send work orders via their website, which after you fill out the info and send it, it send you back to the main page. Never gives you a preview or e-mail. However, I e-mailed her last week requesting a copy of both of the work orders I sent in and a copy of the receipt from the dryer company. She ignored my e-mail, so I resent it again today.

OHRoadwarrior

Bring those. For future reference, you should consider screen capture software, to save copies. Make sure you explain that the vents are not accessible for you to check, when in court.

Nicole1208

Bring those. For future reference, you should consider screen capture software, to save copies. Make sure you explain that the vents are not accessible for you to check, when in court.
I will need to look into that software. Thank you very much for your help.

kweisman

No I did not. We need to send work orders via their website, which after you fill out the info and send it, it send you back to the main page. Never gives you a preview or e-mail. However, I e-mailed her last week requesting a copy of both of the work orders I sent in and a copy of the receipt from the dryer company. She ignored my e-mail, so I resent it again today.
How did this end up? My exlandlord is trying to keep part of our deposit for a same situation issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">