• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord wants to settle out of court, how much can I ask for? [Michigan]

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Brian in Lansin

[Michigan]

First off, props all around to a great site & bulletin board. It is an exhilarating feeling to be the little guy and beat a corporation.

I filed suit in small claims court against my former land lord and about 2 months later they called and offered to settle out of court for the full amount we are suing for. $400

But I still have one question. Is it appropriate to ask for an out-of-court settlement that includes incidental expenses such as court fees, postage, or my time? I'm thinking $50 should cover my expenses in this regard. Thus, I'd settle out of court for $450 instead of pursueing a $400 lawsuit.

And should I ask for a letter from them stating that the case is resolved, or just rely on my court record for proper documentation?
Brian

seniorjudge

Brian in Lansin said:
[Michigan]

First off, props all around to a great site & bulletin board. It is an exhilarating feeling to be the little guy and beat a corporation.

I filed suit in small claims court against my former land lord and about 2 months later they called and offered to settle out of court for the full amount we are suing for. $400

But I still have one question. Is it appropriate to ask for an out-of-court settlement that includes incidental expenses such as court fees, postage, or my time? I'm thinking $50 should cover my expenses in this regard. Thus, I'd settle out of court for $450 instead of pursueing a $400 lawsuit.

And should I ask for a letter from them stating that the case is resolved, or just rely on my court record for proper documentation?
Brian

Q: And should I ask for a letter from them stating that the case is resolved, or just rely on my court record for proper documentation?

A: Since you are the plaintiff, he may ask that YOU give him a satisfaction of judgment stating that the case is resolved which should be filed with the court.

Ask for the farm, settle for a goat.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">