• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord will not return deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

km2099

What is the name of your state? California I am on the section 8 program I found a house to rent in Lancaster, Landlord asked for deposit of $1500 which I payed and got a receipt.

Landlord did not want to wait for the program to aprove the house they cancelled. I tried contacting them for deposit they never returned calls, it is now three months and they are claiming to take me to court for three months rent for holding the property for me, or I should sign a letter they sent me stating I will accept only $1000 of the deposit as payment in full and will not seek legal action against them in the future.

They are saying there was nothing in writing regrding cancelling the rental.

We never signed a contract, and they have rented the property.

Need advice before filing in small claims court

BL

What evidence do you have that section 8 was involved ?

I have never heard of someone paying a cash security, if section 8
were to be involved. Sec.8 is usually for very low income families that can-not afford it.

Anyways, If you have letters Sec.8 was to be involved or can get them, and the landlord backed out , you can use that.

How long were you living in the apt. ? If close to one month, why not accept the $1,000.00? $500 for 1 month is appropriate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">