• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Laptop LLC Store broke then stole my laptop,now claiming I never even existed..HELP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tracetheoutline

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Two friends and I dropped off two laptops to be fixed (DJ jack replaced) at a small computer repair shop (LLC run by about 2 foreign guys) about 6 months ago. When we went in to pick up the laptops they showed us one of the screens was shattered (obviously by them) and that it would cost an extra $200 to fix. I also noticed their business sells laptop parts and refurbished laptops from 2 locations. It seems plausible they do this all the time to people and thats where they get all the parts from.

I told them they better fix it for free or I would sue them. I got a phone call the next day from the "manager" who told me the laptop was already broken when I brought it in but that I could come get it without paying the $100 for the DC Jack. I told them it was unacceptable and he said he would talk it over with someone and call me back. I didn't get a call back for a few months and I was busy with work.

When I finally went to the store to try and get the broken laptop they pretended I had never even gone in there in the first place. They said I was not in the system and they didn't know what I was talking about. They also pointed to a sign that says they are not responsible for laptops left after 30 days. This sign is new, but I feel that also does not relate to this matter since they told me they would call me regarding how they were going to handle dealing with my laptop that they obviously broke.

Today I found my record in their online system and it shows 2 laptops were fixed by them. The website isn't very professional so it only shows the brands of the laptops and my name and address, and it doesn't say paid. My friend is in the process of getting the receipt for the other laptop she paid for that they did not break.

The business is now having a woman answer their calls from a cell phone and not answering their business lines. Not only did they lose my laptop, but I had Adobe CS3 (expensive program) on there, along with a lot of very important photos and projects relating to work. Not having the laptop also cost me lost work time/ fees as I had to go to a Kinkos and pay fees to use Adobe programs on their computers. In total... they cost me about $4000.

All I currently have is their website, their LLC name, their 2 location addresses, the name of the owner of the company...and my record of order on their site as well as receipt for one laptop and 2 witnesses. Is it worthless to sue their LLC? Is it even possible to sue the owner? Would I need his address, and how could I get it? Help.... I don't know what I'm doing.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

BL

I'm not going to pick your post apart , but my suggestion , move on with your life .You have no case .

cosine

You didn't call THEM back to inquire about their failure to call you ... for a few months? Sounds like abandoned property to me. 30 or maybe 60 days is normal practice for repair items to be considered abandoned if not picked up or at least contacted about. You can still sue. But making your case would be hard at this point. Very hard. And expensive. Just get even by telling all your friends to never do business with them.

tracetheoutline

i know... it was really stupid of me to wait that long. i got another laptop and the one there became a really low priority and i was busy. but the fact of the matter is, they took my property and did not return it.. and i realized there are some files on that laptop i do actually need. how much does it cost to sue them? more than 100$?? i just feel like when they see that i am serious about getting it back they will "find" it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">