• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Laptop Servicer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NickSP

Original didnt post

I gave my laptop to a service provider in 2015 and have yet to get my laptop back, despite my almost constant requests. He had given me excuses for why it's taking so long since day one and now he is ignoring me. Can I take him to small claims court for a new laptop?

eerelations

Yes. You can't ask for a new laptop in small claims (they only grant money, not things), but you can ask for the value of the laptop (as of the date in 2015 that you gave the laptop to the service provider) + court costs.

The service provider might actually give it back to you if you send a certified letter saying "I am about to start a small claims court action against you, if you don't return the laptop to me within X business days [your call how many days, I reco five] I will initiate this court action against you." And if the service provider doesn't respond well or at all to this letter, this will go in your favour with the small claims court judge.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes. You can't ask for a new laptop in small claims (they only grant money, not things), but you can ask for the value of the laptop (as of the date in 2015 that you gave the laptop to the service provider) + court costs.
I may disagree. Why was the laptop at the "servicer?" If it was there because the OP dropped it, or because the video card went bad, or because the hard drive went bad, etc., then the OP is only entitled to the value (in 2015) of a broken laptop.

quincy

... but you can ask for the value of the laptop (as of the date in 2015 that you gave the laptop to the service provider) + court costs ...
Actually, I think you and eerelations are saying the same thing. At least, that is how I read eerelations's post, as saying NickSP potentially would be entitled to the value of the computer as it was when it was taken in for service in 2015.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Actually, I think you and eerelations are saying the same thing. At least, that is how I read eerelations's post, as saying NickSP potentially would be entitled to the value of the computer as it was when it was taken in for service in 2015.
Upon re-reading, you are correct :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">