• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Last Months Rent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jrush

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
I paid last months rent prior to moving into an duplex in 2002. In 2004 the duplex was sold. In 2008 I put in notice to move, and thinking I paid that last months rent, but unable to find proof I contacted the owner who bought the duplex, and asked if he had any proof of this. His answer was no. I sent out the last months rent check, and soon after found my lease from 2002 which says I did pay last months rent. I forwarded a copy to my landlord, and asked him not to cash the check I just sent him. I heard nothing for almost three months, when he decided to cash the check, this after I threatened to obtain an attorney to retrieve my deposit from him. His reason for cashing the check is that my last months rent was never transferred at the time of sale by the previous owner. He said I need to take it up with her. Is the true? Who is responsable?

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
I paid last months rent prior to moving into an duplex in 2002. In 2004 the duplex was sold. In 2008 I put in notice to move, and thinking I paid that last months rent, but unable to find proof I contacted the owner who bought the duplex, and asked if he had any proof of this. His answer was no. I sent out the last months rent check, and soon after found my lease from 2002 which says I did pay last months rent. I forwarded a copy to my landlord, and asked him not to cash the check I just sent him. I heard nothing for almost three months, when he decided to cash the check, this after I threatened to obtain an attorney to retrieve my deposit from him. His reason for cashing the check is that my last months rent was never transferred at the time of sale by the previous owner. He said I need to take it up with her. Is the true? Who is responsable?
Asked and answered in Landlord Tenant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">