• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lawyer fight on judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

stacey lee

What is the name of your state? Alabama.I am in a fight with lawyers about a medical judgement against my wife.we have done everything the lawyers have asked of us.let me be very clear,we are making every attempt to pay.these lawyers are worse than vultures.i have been told that the lawyers can collect the debt but,they can not cause a burden on the family.believe me,it has gone past a burden.no lawyer is willing to fight the hospital or another lawyer in this state.every law has a loop-hole in it.i need some advice asap on how i can stop them from destroying my life.

lwpat

"medical judgement against my wife"

Since they already have a judgement they are within their rights to try to collect. They do not have to accept any type of payment plan and are under no obligation to work with you.

They can attach whatever is allowable in Alabama.

Your only recourse may be bankruptcy. You can try to use this to get them to accept some type of payment plan.

A

AmateurShyster

Can you say some more about what happened to you? It sounds like you retained a lawyer to prosecute a medical malpractice claim that was ultimately rejected, and that the lawyer is now trying to collect his/her fee.

Most lawyers would have you sign a written fee agreement, and you would be bound by that unless there was some fraud or overreaching. If you feel that the fee is excessive, or that the lawyer is being too aggressive about trying to enforce the agreement, your best bet would be to contact the local bar association. It probably has some sort of fee arbitration procedure that will bring you and the lawyer together in order to work things out.

If and when you do contact the bar association, I recommend that you try to hold back on your emotions. Explain factually what happened and what you want. I.e., if you want to work out a payment plan, say so. If you want the fee reduced, say that. If your attorney really is a "vulture", it will be apparent without your saying so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">