• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer suing for fee's

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CrowBar78

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I recently won a case in civil court pertaining to custodianship of a elderly family member. The lawyer for the Plaintiff in that case is now suing me for his court costs and fee's. Is that even legal to do would be my first question? Second would be do I counter for lost time at work ect.? Thank you in advance for any helpful information.

sandyclaus

I recently won a case in civil court pertaining to custodianship of a elderly family member. The lawyer for the Plaintiff in that case is now suing me for his court costs and fee's. Is that even legal to do would be my first question? Second would be do I counter for lost time at work ect.? Thank you in advance for any helpful information.
If you won the case in civil court, the Plaintiff's attorney will find it difficult to find YOU liable for his court costs and fees. Unless there is a specific agreement or legal obligation for you to pay those (which is unlikely given they sued YOU and lost), then in most instances where costs and fees would be awarded, it would be to the prevailing party.

LdiJ

Who was the plaintiff? Could the attorney be attempting to claim that the elderly family member was his/her client and therefore he/she is due payment from that person? IE suing you as the custodian, rather than suing you personally?

Does anyone else know of cases where an attorney tried to sue the winner for legal fees?

CrowBar78

The plaintiff was the care facility in which the elderly person was residing. A conflict of interest was cited by the judge to the plaintiff, which their lawyer should have known in advance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">