• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Laywers fees for forcing School into legal Compliance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

robb1

What is the name of your state? AL

My ex-wife works at a religious daycare/school and enrolled my daughter into thier unaccredited Kindergarten. Neither my wife nor the school would give me information on my child, either parents programs, special events, access to school pictures, ect. The school went as far to have thier attorney contact me and inform me that I had no rights since I did not register my child at the school, only my wife could (who works there) could recieve information. I retained an attorney who then informed the school and newbie lawyer that AL law requires them to provide me 100% access. My divorce decree states this, but it is an AL Statute that requires this. The school admin knew I was the father since I had been stopping by to pick up my child and talk to my ex.
Question- Can I sue the school in small claims for my lawyer fees ($2,800) since they were breaking a state statute and I was foreced to hire a lawyer to force them to comply?

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
That'll be tough. It was your choice to hire the lawyer. You could have pointed out the relevant statute to the school yourself.

robb1

I did not realize it it was a Statute

Good point. The way I was looking at was that the school was not allowing me to be involved as a parent, and I did not know it was illegal until I hired an attorney. Guess I might try my luck. :rolleyes:

dcatz

Note to Zigner:

Remember racer's signature line:
If you ask a question you don't want an answer to, expect an answer you don't want to hear.

You only gave the right answer, not the preferred answer.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state? AL

My ex-wife works at a religious daycare/school and enrolled my daughter into thier unaccredited Kindergarten. Neither my wife nor the school would give me information on my child, either parents programs, special events, access to school pictures, ect. The school went as far to have thier attorney contact me and inform me that I had no rights since I did not register my child at the school, only my wife could (who works there) could recieve information. I retained an attorney who then informed the school and newbie lawyer that AL law requires them to provide me 100% access. My divorce decree states this, but it is an AL Statute that requires this. The school admin knew I was the father since I had been stopping by to pick up my child and talk to my ex.
Question- Can I sue the school in small claims for my lawyer fees ($2,800) since they were breaking a state statute and I was foreced to hire a lawyer to force them to comply?
**A: yes, you are free to sue the school.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">