• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leak from roof of condo damaged hardwood floor....HOA is refusing pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA
my HOA is responsible for the outside of property. I had a leak on the roof 2 years ago. it damaged my drywall inside. they fixed the roof and the drywall. the same place leaked again this year, water dripped onto my new hardwood floors over night and by the next morning (i cleaned it and put a bucket) water had gone underneath the wood and damaged it.

they sent estimators but said that they won't pay to fix it.

they said: "we talked to our attorny and he suggested that if there is no visible damage, the HOA has no obligation to pay"

i attended the HOA meeting last night and showed them that there IS damage. They rejected and gave no reason.

what can i do?

thanks.

What happened when you filed a claim with your insurance? OR What did your insurance company say?
Nationwide said that they'd fix it but my rates would go up.

i think that IF it's the responsibility of the HOA to fix this, i shouldn't have to go through my insurance.

racer72

OP, if you have something to say to me, don't waste my time with private messages, post it right here in the thread so everyone knows you don't have a clue about what you are doing and you have to keep asking the same questions over and over. I was going to add some info that could help you but you can take a flying leap now.

HomeGuru

OP, if you have something to say to me, don't waste my time with private messages, post it right here in the thread so everyone knows you don't have a clue about what you are doing and you have to keep asking the same questions over and over. I was going to add some info that could help you but you can take a flying leap now.
**A: good one.

i said it to you in private message, i'll say it here too....if you don't know the answer to someone's question, you're better off keeping your mouth shut so others, who do know something, can respond.

mmmm-kay?

ps. if you had "some info that could help me", you would have posted it in this thread already or in the previous post (from last month) that nobody responded to. So, stop bluffing, go back to playing video games or racing, or whatever it is you do. i don't care. just get off my thread and stop wasting my vaaaaaaluable time ;-)

Last edited:

mediabox

What do the HOA bylaws say about secondary damage? Just because there is no "visible" damage doesn't mean there isn't any. Maybe mold may have start growing between the floors/walls.

HomeGuru

i said it to you in private message, i'll say it here too....if you don't know the answer to someone's question, you're better off keeping your mouth shut so others, who do know something, can respond.

mmmm-kay?

ps. if you had "some info that could help me", you would have posted it in this thread already or in the previous post (from last month) that nobody responded to. So, stop bluffing, go back to playing video games or racing, or whatever it is you do. i don't care. just get off my thread and stop wasting my vaaaaaaluable time ;-)
**A: nice one. Now you will get no help at all.

What do the HOA bylaws say about secondary damage? Just because there is no "visible" damage doesn't mean there isn't any. Maybe mold may have start growing between the floors/walls.
the HOA bylaws don't mention anything about secondary damage!!! it's hard to believe but it just says that the home owner is responsible for damages inside (but doesn't mention what if those damages were caused by the outside which the HOA is responsible for)

**A: nice one. Now you will get no help at all.
**A: i don't care if i get any 'help' from you or not. after viewing your "visitor messages" under your name, it's all very clear. everyone feels like you're a jerk and a snotty know nothing who "puts people down" for typing errors and such instead of providing help. It's fine though. hopefully (for your sake) one day you'll grow up.

mediabox

I don't think it would hurt filing a small claims suit. If you lose you'll be out of your filing fee (in IL it's $170) and time. You may even win because of the poor repair the year before.

Are you willing to repair it? If so get it repaired and sue for the actual cost. Otherwise get 3 estimates and sue for the lowest.

I don't think it would hurt filing a small claims suit. If you lose you'll be out of your filing fee (in IL it's $170) and time. You may even win because of the poor repair the year before.

Are you willing to repair it? If so get it repaired and sue for the actual cost. Otherwise get 3 estimates and sue for the lowest.
thanks.
I already have 3 estimates that the HOA got (they sent 3 different contractors). i will most likely sue IF i can figure out whom to sue!!!
that's my problem! the HOA isn't a person with a specific address! any ideas?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">