• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leaky Sunroof Lawsuit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pennsylvania717

Good Evening,
I am a resident of Pennsylvania and have a question about a possible lawsuit of a defective sunroof I had installed in my 2009 Toyota Yaris about five months ago. I paid a body shop down in Baltimore, Maryland to order and install a basic pop-up sunroof and have had nothing but issues with it since installation. I have been back to the shop SEVEN different times, with them using more tar and glue, and replacing the rubber liners and still getting nowhere. It keeps leaking heavily and today, it was like a sink faucet with the way the water was coming in during the storm. If the owner refuses to give me back a full refund, what are my chances in court with sueing him? I would sue for the $525.00 it cost, and possibly other damages? The owner is on vacation until next week but I have had enough of this headache. Is it an open and shut case? Would I be pushing it asking for more money then what I paid? Thanks so much, Alex

BL

Good Evening,
I am a resident of Pennsylvania and have a question about a possible lawsuit of a defective sunroof I had installed in my 2009 Toyota Yaris about five months ago. I paid a body shop down in Baltimore, Maryland to order and install a basic pop-up sunroof and have had nothing but issues with it since installation. I have been back to the shop SEVEN different times, with them using more tar and glue, and replacing the rubber liners and still getting nowhere. It keeps leaking heavily and today, it was like a sink faucet with the way the water was coming in during the storm. If the owner refuses to give me back a full refund, what are my chances in court with sueing him? I would sue for the $525.00 it cost, and possibly other damages? The owner is on vacation until next week but I have had enough of this headache. Is it an open and shut case? Would I be pushing it asking for more money then what I paid? Thanks so much, Alex
You need to get a separate estimate of repair or replacement from a reputable place that installs sunroofs .Hopefully they'll give you a free estimate .Have the place note on the estimate their opinion as to why in their professional opinion you need to have what ever they recommended.

Sue for the cost of estimate to repair ,or replace .

Just out of curiosity ,what does the warranty say ?

pennsylvania717

Thank you for your response. I know a very reputable sunroff installer business (there are five different locations throughout maryland) for whom I will take it to. I actually went there originally before I had a sunroof installed to compare prices. They are about $600.00 total for the same one by a different sunroof company so about a $75.00 difference. The warranty on this is a joke. Its a Donmar Sunroof which is located down in Jacksonville, Florida. They dont have a customer service number to the public, and when I was able to google their main office number, they got angry that I called them and told me to take all my complaints to the body shop who did the work, and that they were not responsible and blah blah blah. I have been back to the body shop seven different times now and when they call Donmar, they keep telling the body shop to use more glue and tar, and replaced the stupid rubber liner a few times which sometimes makes the leak much worse. Anyway I could lose this case? I wonder if the owner of the body shop could just blame Donmar and try to get the case dismissed? Alex

BL

Thank you for your response. I know a very reputable sunroff installer business (there are five different locations throughout maryland) for whom I will take it to. I actually went there originally before I had a sunroof installed to compare prices. They are about $600.00 total for the same one by a different sunroof company so about a $75.00 difference. The warranty on this is a joke. Its a Donmar Sunroof which is located down in Jacksonville, Florida. They dont have a customer service number to the public, and when I was able to google their main office number, they got angry that I called them and told me to take all my complaints to the body shop who did the work, and that they were not responsible and blah blah blah. I have been back to the body shop seven different times now and when they call Donmar, they keep telling the body shop to use more glue and tar, and replaced the stupid rubber liner a few times which sometimes makes the leak much worse. Anyway I could lose this case? I wonder if the owner of the body shop could just blame Donmar and try to get the case dismissed? Alex
If it turns out to be a faulty sunroof ,if you have the patients you could file a complaint with your local Office of Attorney General and name both manufacture Co. and the shop that did the work . you would ask the cost of either repair or replacement per new estimate .

This may take 30 days or more .There is no guaranty ,but if the manufacture is to blame and are reputable ,they may respond .

OAG knows the right consumer contacts for Co's.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">