• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cculon

What is the name of your state?CA
If I tape a guy's voice secretly to record his statement verbally, is that legal?
Thanks,
Curie

JETX

cculon said:
If I tape a guy's voice secretly to record his statement verbally, is that legal?
California is a TWO party state.
Cal. Penal Code §§ 631, 632: It is a crime in California to intercept or eavesdrop upon any confidential communication, including a telephone call or wire communication, without the consent of all parties.

It is also a crime to disclose information obtained from such an interception. A first offense is punishable by a fine of up to $2,500 and imprisonment for no more than one year. Subsequent offenses carry a maximum fine of $10,000 and jail sentence of up to one year.

HomeGuru

cculon said:
What is the name of your state?CA
Thanks,
Curie

**A: yes, but it is not illegal to record his statement non-verbally.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">