• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal action for borrowed goods

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jbdhayes

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

About 2 years ago I had lent a $400 dress and $150 purse to a friend. She told me that when I visit she will give them back as long as I brought her $20 jeans back to Texas in January 2009. Well, I visited and gave her back her pants but forgot to ask about the dress and purse. I emailed her on Tuesday about the items and she has not emailed me back about them. However, she has sent forwards. So I know she is still at that work email. I emailed her again today; however, she won't see the email until Monday. I know she is going through a divorce; however, her divorce is going smoothly so that shouldn't impare her from mailing the clothes. In addition, I have offered to pay for shipping.

Would I have to go back to Texas to file a claim if she does not respond?

Is this something I can do by myself?

Is there something I can do without ruining our friendship but strike a fire under her to get the items back?

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

About 2 years ago I had lent a $400 dress and $150 purse to a friend. She told me that when I visit she will give them back as long as I brought her $20 jeans back to Texas in January 2009. Well, I visited and gave her back her pants but forgot to ask about the dress and purse. I emailed her on Tuesday about the items and she has not emailed me back about them. However, she has sent forwards. So I know she is still at that work email. I emailed her again today; however, she won't see the email until Monday. I know she is going through a divorce; however, her divorce is going smoothly so that shouldn't impare her from mailing the clothes. In addition, I have offered to pay for shipping.

Would I have to go back to Texas to file a claim if she does not respond?

Is this something I can do by myself?

Is there something I can do without ruining our friendship but strike a fire under her to get the items back?

you can UPS an empty box with a return shipping label enclosed. fully paid for. send a box big enough and weight appropriate for the items.

CourtClerk

If you chose to sue her, you will be doing so in Texas. Hardly cost effective. Guess she really wasn't your friend now was she? Time to block her email address.

sandyclaus

Sorry, CourtClerk...

If you chose to sue her, you will be doing so in Texas. Hardly cost effective. Guess she really wasn't your friend now was she? Time to block her email address.
You are right about suing in Texas, and that it would be less than cost-effective.

But NOT about the friendship...

OP admitted that her friend is going thru a difficult divorce. Being so far away means that OP is not as available as she could be to help her friend thru her tough times. Email only goes so far.

Sounds to me like the friend is probably pretty distracted with the divorce situation and that she likely forgot about the purse & clothes when OP went to visit her. I guess it depends on how strong the friendship is as to whether or not suing the friend over some tangibles is worth it. I know I certainly wouldn't take her to court over it.

The previous response was dead-on: send a UPS box big enough to send the items back, along with a prepaid shipping label. How thoughtful that would be, and practical. Make it easy and efficient to get the items sent back (and isn't that the idea anyway?), and preserve the friendship.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">